What's new

Seeking opinions on drivers... (1 Viewer)

Jordan Tracey

Stunt Coordinator
Ok...I am thinking about starting a speaker manufacturing business. I can't decide on drivers because I haven't really heard them, I am just wanting you people to rate Morel, Hi-vi, Vifa, and Focal on a 1-4 basis, 1 being the best and on down the line. I just want to see what some of you think. I will be testing all of them out once I get some funds up...

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
All the companies listed make both good and bad drivers. So a generic statement is difficult.

And BTW most companies don't make their own drivers. Many subcontract from very large mfgrs. Basically you get a catalog then design your own from an list of available baskets, cones, surrounds, magnets, etc, etc.

I hope you have a solid engineering background, plenty of high quality test equipment, and lots of spare cash. Under capitalization is a major problem for start-ups

Alexis

Stunt Coordinator
Depends on the which driver within that brand. For the best of the best, Focal makes the more expensive drivers which are probably better, they are used in the top of the line wilsons, see the focal utopia series.

All drivers within those brands are pretty good though. hi-vi might give you the best value for your money since they are made in china I believe.

Also look at the dynaudio series if you can still find them.

Ron D Core

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah they all vary in quality within brand, you would have to hear them all for yourself since everyone has there own opinion as to what good sound is.
My opinion -
The Hi-Vi F-series drivers a great for the money; however, they require some special attention when it comes to enclosure design and their crossovers to get the flattest response. I would recomend there F-5's or F-6's as midranges. The Ma8's sound great under 750Hz. But my favorite midbass drivers have to be the Focal 8V4411's. You can cross them over pretty high for an 8 which makes them perfect for a two way system. And the price is very reasonable. The Hi-Vi planar tweeters are well worth the money as well.
Check out this site, theres a really cool DIY Swan type speaker.
Link Removed

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Ron D Core
The Hi-Vi M8a also sound very good up to 1750-1800 with an proper high order elipitical XO.
Jon Marsh's M8a-MKIII project
I have a pair of these and they are amazing for a midsized 2-way.
Audio-X-Press will be publishing a detailed article regarding the construction

Ron D Core

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah? I'll be ordering the standard version of lspCAD in the near future, maybe I'll try messing with those drivers and different X-overs again. Could always use a new center channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks