Seeking opinions from anyone who has used RCA brand cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry McCann, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Terry McCann

Terry McCann Auditioning

Nov 30, 2001
    Hello everyone, this will be my first post to this forum and I hope I'm not going to start yet another cable-war, but here goes...

My wife and I just purchased a Panasonic 56-inch RPTV, 4:3, HDTV-ready. With that in place, I will be moving other audio and video components into storage next to the monitor and recabling everything with something a bit more solid than the cables that came with the components. I'll be buying component video, stereo audio, analog video, digital coaxial audio, and optical audio cables of various lengths and quantities.

I don't want to spend a fortune on this project and I am an adherent to the philosophy that properly terminated cables of the correct resistance with sufficient shielding will perform at a sufficiently high level for my 52-year-old eyes and ears irrespective of the price I pay. (Yeah, as a matter of fact, I am cheap.)

Anyway, after several searches of this and other forums I looked first at Radio Shack brand and was concerned that the package labeling said nothing about the construction or materials. Acoustic Research brand looked like it would meet my needs and budget, but then I looked at a set of component video cables with the RCA brand. Construction looked to be the equivalent of either RS or AR, and the price was about 1/2 either of those brands.

So, finally, my question. Will anyone who has used the RCA brand cables please share their experience?

Thanks much in advance, and let me just add that the information available in this forum is terrific.

Terry McCann
  2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Apr 10, 2000
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I just recently purchased these cables and think they work well. I just purchased a new TV for our sitting room, the Toshiba 34HF81 which I have a HD STB and DVD player connected to. I use these cables for the connection. Downstairs I have a Mitsubish 46805 HD TV with the same model STB connected. I have AR pro-series cables that cost about $50 for a 3-foot set of component cables for viewing HD. I tried replacing them with these RCA component cables which I bought at Target and I cannot see any difference on HD signals. With the Toshiba these cables work well with the STB and DVD player. I think they are a good buy. People will certainly be telling you that you need to spend more, but use your own eyes. If you can't see a difference, there isn't one.

3. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Sep 30, 2001
    RCA Home Theater Series Interconnects and Speaker Wires are
    manufactured for RCA by Monster Cable INC. They bear many of
    the same materials and features for 1/3 the price.
    They are in fact great cables and will work well with your
    equipment. I have 2 pairs of RCA Home Theater Interconnects
    in my setup and I am pleased with the quality.
    Also AR's series of cables are on par with these RCA cables
    the AR Master Series are more on par with the highest end
    Monster Cable Interconnects (The price reflects this)
  4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Nov 21, 2001
    If I might post one other suggestion, and this definately has a personal bias. I did a long search on this site and others when trying to figure out (1) if a sub interconnect upgrade would help the performance of my new Hse subwoofer and (2) which would be the best interconnect to buy. The company that I heard the most raves about was Rhino. I went to their site and found them to be what I considered to be very reasonably priced for cable getting such outstanding testimonials. They emailed back immediately and were very interested in what I wanted and what would be best for my system. I told them that Hsu recommends a "y" connection to their sub. They responded that they didn't manufacture these, but gave advice on which "y"s would work out best. Then, tonight, Mark from Rhino contacted me again. Even though I had already ordered, they wanted to send me the best interconnect for my need and Mark was going to put something together which he felt might improve the sound quality just that little bit extra. And, all of this is for FREE!!! He just wants to make sure everything is right. I had already told my wife earlier that the customer service by Rhino was the BEST I had ever received from anyone online. Wait til she gets home and I tell her about this. Amazing customer service. Good prices. From what I hear, an outstanding product that really does make a significant improvement. WOW!!! I know I sound overly excited, but this company made me feel this way. I'm posting their link for anyone interested.