What's new

seeking info re: region coding from Japan members (1 Viewer)

KurtE

Auditioning
I will be moving (permanently) from the US to Japan early next year, and I'm wondering how my current DVD collection will be affected by Region coding.

Although I will be selling some of my current DVD collection to lighten the load, I hope to keep a fair amount of these (about 100 titles). ALL of them are Region 1 coded. My question is: is it possible to buy a region-less player in Japan, so that I'll be able to watch these dvd's, as well as any new Region 2 dvd's I may buy once in Japan? Alternatively, is there any sense in bringing my current player (Toshiba 6109) and possibly having it modified to play other region-coded dvd's?

From doing a quick comparison of some titles on both Amazon.com as well as Amazon's Japan site, it seems like it would make more financial sense to buy from the US-based site, even after shipping fees are included. This strategy however would further necessitate having a player that can play Region 1 discs. How do current residents of Japan shop for their DVD's?

I've read some things about the Malata player, is this available in Japan?

Takosan

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, it's true that the DVDs & CDs are expensive. Recently I came back with a Japanese PS2, DVDs & CDs. For example a CD set me back ~$25 (120 yen to $1) each & a concert DVD set me back ~$48 each. Most record stores give you points, sure, but it is still expensive.
Maybe make a pact with your friends here to send you CDs & Region 1 DVDs (if it's not illegal). Also remember that due to release schedules a movie coming out in Q1 2002 won't come out in Japan until Q3 2002 ... or it might even never come out.
As far as taking your Toshiba DVD player ... do you speak or think will learn to enjoy Region 2 DVDs (smut excluded :D)? If so then you might want to either take a multi-region DVD player like Malta with you or try to find one there. Akihabara electronics shopping district in Tokyo should have multi-region players.
Takosan

Jim_T

Grip
Kurt, if I were you, I'd just bring your current DVD player and then order from your favorite online DVD store in the States. As you've already seen, DVDs here are more expensive and as Takosan mentioned, they are generally released much later here. Unless you plan to rent DVDs here, or buy some Japanese DVDs that aren't available on Amazon (or wherever), you really won't need a region 2 player. Also, I'm not too sure what's going on with it, but I remember reading on Amazon that some studios are putting out DVDs that won't play on region-free players. If this is the case, region-free might not be the way to go. Finally, if you find that you do really want a region 2 player, the prices here are really coming down fast. You could bring your region 1 player with you, then see if you need region 2 once you get here. Hope this helps.

Jim

KurtE

Auditioning
Takosan and Jim,
Thanks for your input and advice....I'm starting to think my Region 1 Toshiba is coming with me.....
long term however I do want to buy local Japanese releases. While I'm far from fluent in Nihon'go at the moment, I am getting there, and certainly my Japanese fiance and her family (with whom we will share a household) would appreciate being able to share in my DVD viewing.
Now if there was only a way to justify carting over my 43-inch TV ;)

Jim_T

Grip
Now if there was only a way to justify carting over my 43-inch TV
Take a look at the prices here - that might provide some justification. Seriously, I don't know how much stuff you're bringing, but if you're shipping anything big-ish via container, you might look into it. Of course, if you're just bringing what you can carry on the plane, that's a different story...

Jim

Takosan

Stunt Coordinator
Kurt: I don't know what the $ situation is w/the expense of relocation & stuff (I'm always short of $ ) but one option is selling the 43" & buying a 16:9 TV once there might be a solution if you are going to stay there permanent.

Jim: Hey Jim how long have you been in Osaka? I'm from Yokohama but now state-side permanently ;-)

Takosan

Remember, too, that region 2 also covers Europe - just to show the arbitrariness of the DVD Forum to control markets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks