Directors Seeking comments on tournament ideas

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Brook K, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

With pretty much all the good ideas for tournaments used at least 3 times over, I haven't been able to come up with much as a follow-up to my American Renaissance tournament which will be finished by Friday.

The ideas I have come up with are all problematic for one reason or another so I'm seeking comments for ways to improve them or if these suck, something else we can do.

1. Ye Olde 2003 Best Film Tourament. No one has done one of these yet but I'm reluctant to do so as this year would seem to be a no win situation, at least from my POV. Either it would simply serve as a coronation for Return of the King, a waste of time for the person running it (if that person is me anyway) OR ROTK would be beaten 2-0 by some "obscure" film and then there would be a firestorm of controversy and ill will.

2. The Complete Criterion Collection Tournament. Or 256 titles anyway. The problem I see here is that many of the titles in question would muster a ton of abstains, maybe 1 or 2 votes, and a major loss of interest in the tournament. Yes, I could use a smaller set of the collection, but that's been done before. I could use Jim's method of just dumping anything that doesn't generate at least 3 votes, but that makes the brackets messier and much harder to keep track of.

3. The Brook's Criterion Collection Tournament. I have around 64 titles so this could work. Or I could choose even more titles from the rest of my stuff. Problems are again some obscurity, and that I'm really grasping at straws and can only come up with this lame idea to have a tournament for the sake of having a tournament. [​IMG]

This is admittedly grim. These are panicked ideas generated by the thought of losing my best daily time waster - Polls. Have we past the saturation point? Are people even interested in tournaments anymore?

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well I'm going to start one today or tomorrow that will no doubt be somewhat controversial, but hey, what's new? [​IMG]

I'm doing a best & worst remake tourney. I'm sure there will be disagreement about what constitutes a remake, but we'll see how it goes.

As far as your ideas Brook, you might consider a draft instead of a traditional tournament. Sure, LOTR might get snagged first, but that person might get stuck with Gigli, so overall that list isn't guaranteed to win. And of course, you kind of get rid of the abstain problem you might have with the criterion ideas when people are voting on a block (since they don't have to have seen all of them to vote). Plus, half the fun in a draft is the drafting, not the voting anyway.

As far as popularity, these things come and go. I think one of the reasons they've lost steam is that they're in this polls area. When I did my first, it was over in the movies section. It was moved to polls, but people followed it over. I suspect if you announced you were doing in that section, you might attract some voters who don't frequent the polls area.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Since I track to your Criterion purchases (at least what I see in your signature) pretty well, I like idea three the best.

As far as the drop in popularity goes, I have noticed that many of the people who were pretty active participants six or twelve months ago, are making too many posts of any kind right now.

Reason number two is that it was pretty easy to get high participation in a tournament such as ‘Best Comedy’ but much harder to drum up interest in ‘Best postwar, Italian Neo-Realism film’.

And finally there actually might be some people who could vote in somewhat obscure categories like this (and who might be interested), but who don’t visit this area very much. Perhaps a post with an idea (like the Criterion one) that also explains the tournament concept in the S&S and AFI lists might get a response from some of them. Here I’m just riffing on George’s idea.

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

#2 or #3 would probably be best. I wouldn't mind seeing another "HTF member vs. HTF member" tournament either...

5. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I think all of those ideas are pretty solid. But I'm not sure drafts are a good idea. They might bring some people back, but they are most likely the reason Polls is the way it is.

I was thinking about doing a best movie trailer tournament, but I don't know how much participation there would be.

I also think it would be interesting to do another HTF Best Pictures like we did a year or two ago.

6. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Thanks for your thoughts.

I think I may go ahead with the "Brook's CC Tournament" and maybe do the 2003 one in another week or two. I have a few more than I thought, 69 spine numbers, so I could leave out a few of the least seen titles and only have a couple rareties.

7. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

I've contemplated a "Plot Draft". Each round centers around a basic plot line (rags to riches, boy meets girl, buddy cops fight crime, defiant loner fights the system, etc.), and the participants drafts a movie that uses the plotline. As usual, it concludes with a voting tournament. This twist is that part of the voting is how closely the film you chose matches the plotline for that round.

Of course, I'm buying a house and moving in the next few weeks, so there's no way I'm running anything in the Polls Area any time soon.

Brad