Seeking advice on the Information Technology Field

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom-G, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I'm considering trying a different career and one of the careers I have in mind is Information Technology. I'm just starting to do some research on it and I was hoping that some people here would be kind enough to provide some info.

What specifially is a good part of IT to get into?

Where are the "hot spots" for these types of jobs in the US (I live near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania).

I would appreciate any information.

2. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

There aren't "good parts" and "bad parts." It all depends on what you're interested in. Most I.T. people have a love for a specific aspect of computing. For instance, I enjoy developing web sites, so I've worked as a web operations analyst for the past few years. Now, I do plenty of web development in my free time and really want to be a Linux guru, so I've accepted a job doing Linux & Unix system administration.

If you're not into a specific aspect of I.T. in your free time, I don't know what to tell you. Think about what you enjoy doing with your computers and you'll probably have your answer.

3. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

Gotta agree with Ryan. Find what interests you the most and go for it. If you are interested and find it interesting, chances are good you'll do well in that area.

Over my career, I've switched gears several times, starting with mainframe programming, LAN/WAN installation and support (networking), web development to infrastructure/architecture of things web for the company i'm currently with.

If there is a fairly large company nearby, perhaps you can talk with one of the IT managers and shadow a few of the associates there over a few days to get an idea of what the positions are like.

Good luck,

Kurt

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Gotta agree with the above. Just find a part the interests you.

The 'hot spots' (though, not these days, I'm afraid) are Silicon Valley (San Jose-San Fran) and the Boston area (and rapdily expanding into So. NH).

Almost any major city is bound to have jobs... but often with a bit bigger companies, and perhaps more in an internal/support role, rather than writing software that gets sold to a customer.

5. tyler O

tyler O Stunt Coordinator

I love hardware, so I chose being a technician. I love the job, but I fear the trend towards disposability of the computer as opposed to the ever creating and mutating box of beauty that my box has always been. Other than hardware is the author of code that entails writing running revising editing reading testing testing testing. This seems to be a wonderful place for the market with this neccessary part of the computer. The hardware has to be good for something and it is running that software. Games, Applications, Networking of any kind is constantly being created and modified in the desire to keep up with the increased perceptions of the capability of the machine in the eyes of the consumer.

It depends on what you really enjoy in the process. Management is an option as well, but techs generally enjoy a superior that is one of them. Techs tend to work with somebody as opposed to under or over somebody.