Seeking advice on mitsibushi tv purchase

Discussion in 'Displays' started by carter, Jan 16, 2004.

1. carter

carter Auditioning

Just want to start by saying that I am a "newbie" and I am so glad and so sick that I found this site, all @ the same time. I am addicted( and the wife ain't all that happy [​IMG].
    I started out @ Christmas with a surprise gift of a 4:3 65 in Mits from my wife. I then found this website, began my research and discovered I needed a widescreen. I was all set to return the set and get the 65313...until I read some more and decided I needed the 413. Now I am seriously considering the 613 after reading even more (add firewire, tuner, etc.) I am seeking opinions on whether it is really worth the $500-600 extra for the 613 over the 413. I do have to say that if I go with the 413, I can apply the extra cash to speakers, which I will be unable to get for quite some time otherwise (also got new receiver for Christmas). I need to make the decision this week. I have to draw the line somewhere, but I want to make the best decision for now. Opinions? Thanks in advance,
    Carter

2. Jim Wilke

Jim Wilke Extra

TV is a visual medium. Always, ALWAYS get the best possible picture you can afford. Sound can come later.

As for the 613 vs. the 413, both are very good but the 613 does have a better picture. Is it enough to justify the extra money? That's up to you. BTW, I am strongly considering buying a big Mits as well and am waiting for a 73" but if I were looking for a 65", I'd look at the Toshibas and Hitachis.....The Toshiba 65HX93 has won a bunch of awards and likely has a better picture than the Mits for less money. Since you're doing something of a trade, though, this may not be an option since many dealers are Mits-only which limits your choices.

3. Bruce McDermott

Don't get a 613 for its "better picture". It uses the same focus circuitry as the 413, has the same guns, etc. If you get it, get it for the HD tuner.

My personal opinion is that an external tuner of good quality is going to be better than the one in the set--I have a Sony HD300, for example. As a result, no way I would spend the extra money for the integrated tuner.

The only way to get a noticeably better picture on the Mits line is to go to a 65813 or a 73713, both of which have True Focus (as opposed to Quad Focus) circuitry, and 9 inch (as opposed to 7 inch) CRTs. But proper calibration on the 7 inch guns will get you 95% of the picture you can get on the 9 inchers, at a LOT less money. (This, according to Craig Miller, a calibration guru--check out www.mghometheater.com, and call him, if you want--nice guy who knows Mits).

Which leads to the next point: as to comparos, it is generally agreed (not by everybody, but by most), that the Mits is a superior RPTV to its competitors IF it is properly calibrated. It may not come out of the box the best, but a tweaked Mits will beat a tweaked competitor in most informed opinons, including those of the tweakers themselves.

Anyway, good luck and good choice!

Good call to get the 413 over the 313, by the way--313 doesn't have Quad Focus, so getting the corners right is hit or miss.