Seeking advice on Laptop Purchases

Discussion in 'Computers' started by chung_sotheby, May 15, 2003.

1. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Hi, I am looking to purchase a new laptop. Looking ideally to purchase from Dell (already have purchased 4 computers from them), but have some reservations about their new systems. The models I am looking at are:

Inspiron 5100
    Inspiron 8500
    Latitude D800

Most of the work I do is with CAD and Graphics (Photoshop, Illustrator, et.), so I need a system that will be used mostly as a desktop replacement. Looking to keep the budget below $2k. Need the laptop to be reliable and steady, liable to be left on for weeks at a time. Portability not really too much of an issue, although I would be doing a decent amount of travel with it, although while traveling the laptop will be used for email & DVD's and almost all heavy graphics work will be done at the office. Am I better off just getting a desktop now and then purchasing a less powerful laptop to use for trips, or should I just splurge now for a very good laptop? And if I should go for the laptop, which of the ones above are the best bet? I have heard bad things about the 5100 (too much heat, not enough expandability) and the 8500 (flimsy cabinet, terrible soundcard) while the D800 seems like a very good fit, but it runs only up to 1.6 Ghz P4-M (although it seems to best the 2.4Ghz 8500 in some bench tests on CNet). Also, what if any other laptops from other companies are better than the ones from Dell listed above? thanks for your help.

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

your going to be hard pressed to find a suitable laptop for your needs. CAD work and graphics both will demand more on the laptop then it can easily handle imho. my opinion is that if you go with a laptop, get something with lots of ram and cpu speed, you'll need it.

your claiming to need a laptop, so I am assuming you travel a lot. but what I want to know is where you'll be doing your work at. if you are looking into doing work in, say your hotel room as opposed to on a plane. you may just consider picking up something like shuttle's XPC and a small LCD monitor. would be a little cheaper and more powerful for your needs without compromising the size difference much at all. just has the side effect of needing you to be by a power outlet for use (though you could use a DC->AC adapter in a car).

anyway, feed me with some more input and I can give you some better answers. I hope this helps you out at least a little.

3. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

4. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

At my company we run Pro-E on the Dell Latitude C840 with the 2GHz CPU, 512MB RAM, and the Nvidia video card. It is a heavy machine but all the drives are built in. It is not as fast as a desktop but it works. We pay around $1800 for them but we do get a hefty corporate discount.

Laters,
    Jeff

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I second the Apple suggestion. Apple makes the very best notebooks.

6. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

7. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

8. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

No kidding...I'd almost rather carry my desktop around than a 10 pound neon green Alienware.