Seeking Advice on Cable Modems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom-G, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    High speed internet access in the form of cable is now available in my area. It's through AT&T Broadband. Is it more economical to lease the modem from said company or to buy the modem? Where can I purchase a cable modem? Also, how do you like your internet connection if you are on cable?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Given the choice of leasing or buying a modem, I'd buy one. They aren't that expensive, and you reduce your monthly bill that way (I think it's $10/month to lease a modem). Of course, I say that, and I'm leasing mine, because when I signed up (3+ years ago) purchased modems weren't available yet, and I'm too lazy to make the switch.

I'm happy with my AT&T Broadband connection. It's fast and reliable where I am. The best things about it (besides speed) is that it's always on (no need to dial out or log in), and it doesn't tie up a phone line.

KJP

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I have Road Runner, and I don't even see a line item on my cable bill where NOT leasing the modem is even an option.

Perhaps I should call?

Todd

4. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    My brother has Road Runner and he bought the Modem. You can find them at Best Buy and Compusa. I have seen them as low as $99. I had to pay $199 for mine[​IMG]

5. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

I got incredibly lucky. When I jumped into broadband cable, there were a plethora of specials. Comcast had a $125 rebate for signing up + 2 months free service and Circuit City had a $50 rebate for the modem (Motorola SB4100). I bought the package for $199. Less the rebates, I ended paying $25 for my modem.

It would be difficult for me to go back to dial up.

6. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

Buzz -

Comcast does offer business class service. I believe it's called Comcast Business Communcations (CBC). Of course, this service comes at higher price than a residential connection. Don't know if they put a cap on upload speed.

I think the reason for the upload cap on residential accounts is so that you can't set up your account as a server. I think that's what I was told when I previously spoke to one of their CSR's.

7. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I don't think I could back to dial up at this point. I have had the service for around three years and have not really had any major problems. Just a few outages here and there. I would purchase the Modem it you can. The only Cable Modem available when I got the service were about $300.00 but that would have paid for itself by now with the $10.00 a month cost of renting the modem.

-Andre F

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

If I were to start nowadays, I'd buy the cable modem unit. I was one of the early adopters that wasn't sure about the technology so I'm also paying $10/month to lease my cable modem from ATT Broadband. I should look into getting it replaced with a cheaper unit - I can live with a year long payback period.

It's just the hassle of getting ATT to sync up the new MAC HW address of a new cable modem that's holding me back.

9. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Yeah, well I am about to join the cable club with Comcast myself I guess. I really HATE the idea of spending $50+ per month for an internet connection. However, with our recent move, my dialup will not go above 24k. [​IMG]
    So where is a good deal on a cable modem. With Comcast, it is only $5 a month to rent the modem. That is not bad, but if I can get a deal I am going to consider it.
    So anyone have a good idea of wher eto get a deal on a modem? Comcast currently doe not have a deal on purchasing a modem. Their current deal is the first three months for $29.99.
    Thanks,
    C. Ryan

10. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Todd,

The cable modem rental charge is bundled into the monthly Road Runner charge. Here in Time-Warner Liberty Division the charge is $5.00 a month. They can switch your service to the correct code in billing but be sure to tell them to watch the email. With the billing system at Road Runner changing service levels also de-activates your account so you must go in immediately and re-create any of your subaccounts. Your master account password will also change. Be sure to get it before you hang-up with them.

Good luck!

Jason

11. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

Ive got comcast also, but if you decide to lease, and then you can get it updated for free of charge. (Thats what the Comcast person told me when it came) Since you can the cable modem goes through the computer, Regular cable servise is not interupted, in fact I'm watching Multiplicity with M. Keatean right now on preniem cable

12. AndyDL

AndyDL Stunt Coordinator

Mm, right now, I'd RENT the modem.
    That way if your modem suddenly becomes disfunctional or the technology gets updated (which it will soon), you can just have your cable company send you a new modem. (free of charge) (what Ryan L B was saying)
    Andy