Seeking 27" TV with Audio Out

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rob Vi, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Rob Vi

Rob Vi Auditioning

Does anyone know of a 27" TV with 'audio out' for external speakers? Or even a TV Mfg that continues to include this option on some TV's?

This is for a backroom setup that has to fit in an enclosure that only has a space for one electronics box (DVD now) so I can't setup a receiver but would like to continue to use external speakers with the new TV.

Rob Vi

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Just about all "audio out" connections I know of are for connecting to an external amplifier. There are a few RPTVs with direct speaker outputs, but hardly any direct-view sets have amplifiers powerful enough to run the typical bookshelf speaker without being strained beyond their limits.

3. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

My Toshiba CX2767J (15 yrs old) has audio out connections, worked fine before I got a receiver. It's a great set, keep an eye out for a used one. If you're anywhere near Syracuse you could have it cheap, it's only a bedroom set now.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Are we all talking about audio-out outputs or speaker terminals on the back of a TV? If the former, any monitor worthy of inclusion in a home theater has them. If the latter, there are no direct-view sets I can think of offhand that have them. The typical amplifier in a direct-view TV can barely crank out a maximum of five or so watts per channel (across only a portion of the frequency spectrum).

(Also, I always recommend against used TVs here.)

5. Rob Vi

Rob Vi Auditioning

Thanks everyone!

Rob Vi