See AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS letterboxed on Turner Classic Movies this week!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

May 16, 2001
    Patrick McCart
    On December 12th, 10:00 PM, Eastern Standard Time on TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES, they'll be showing a special encore presentation of AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY DAYS for the first time on American television in....

it's original CinemaScope widescreen format.

No, folks, this is not a false alarm. TCM is having a viewer's request festival this month and my pick (Around the world in eighty days) was chosen.

The head of programming went through the trouble to track down a 1980's re-release print of the film so TCM could make a fresh new transfer of the film in the CORRECT widescreen format. The ONLY drawback is that the 1980's cut is a little shorter, but the chance to actually see 100% of the frame is a wonderful way to see the film.

She emailed me that they made the new transfer and will use it until WB is finished with their restoration of the movie (Sounded like a DVD restoration, though) and then they'll try to use THAT master.

If you happen to have a few hours free on the 12th, watch this to show that widescreen transfers RULE!
  2. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Nov 5, 1998

Aren't the original negatives for this trashed already? I remember hearing that (with dissappointment).

Sad to think that there might be some films that will end up looking better on video formats than they ever could at theaters again.

Turner is just kicking butt lately. I wish AMC could keep up because they used to be just as solid. It's nice to have 2 choices for stations like this, but lately its been a one horse race.
  3. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Feb 9, 1999
    This is not the original roadshow version (70mm Todd AO). It is that version that is probably lost forever.
  4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Jun 30, 1997