What's new

SED tech? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have an opinion about the new technology from Toshiba? I am trying to learn some more information about it.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Sure, great technology. Toshiba/Canon have put off introduction until 2008 because of the unexpected rapid decline in the price of plasma, LCD, DLP, LCoS/SXRD, etc. No one knows whether it will be a serious contender or not. There are other new technologies emerging that could bump SED off.

SED sounds great but if you could get a 65 inch 1080P plasma for the same price as a 55 inch SED, what would you choose?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I agree. SED does not matter one bit until you can actually buy one.

I worked at a company here in CA that worked on this technology in the late 90's/early 2000's. CRT video performance, but from a flat panel. But there are some technology issues involved too. Mostly due to the requirement of vacuum levels required similar to CRT, but in a package with a much higher surface to volume ratio. Lifetime is a big deal. And to keep the two panels from collapsing into each other due to the vacuum in between them, you have to use spacers, and there were problems with the spacers charging up and being visible.

Every year that goes by with more and more performance gains by plasma and LCD, means every year less that SED has a chance of any appreciable market penetration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks