Security tape damaged my stupid snapper case

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by [email protected], Jan 8, 2003.

1. He@ther

Hi,
    I bought You've Got Mail in a stupid snapper case today, and as I ever-so-carefully removed the gratuitous security tape, (Really, why would someone want to steal a snapper case?) the tape took off some of the cover art with it, so now there are a bunch of annoying little white spots. Has this happened to anyone else? Snapper cases are obviously not practical, I wish the WB would stop being so stubborn and start using keep cases like the rest of the industry!

2. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Yeah, snappers are idiotic. Has been discussed several times before... However, the worst thing ever has to be the Shrek sticker, which was capable of destroying a keepcase as well! [​IMG]

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

While I will defend the snapper cases til the last ones are made, they REALLY need to stop putting the security tape on them- I don't blame people for hating snapper cases after they started doing that!

4. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

It's happened to me two or three times before. I simply exchange it at the place of purchase for another one, seeing as how the case is "defective."

6. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

My "Sleepers" and "The Shawshank Redemption" cases were also ruined by the security tape. No matter how careful I was with removing the tape, it still took some off.

Dean

7. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

I had the same experience with Shawshank Redemption, but I decided to just leave the sticker on instead of tearing the artwork all to hell.

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I've had this problem with keepcases whose inserts stuck out from the edge of the plastic.

9. Stephen Fagan

Stephen Fagan Stunt Coordinator

I've had only a couple snappers get damaged - such as Enter the Dragon, the gold 'Special Edition' banner lost to the security tape in that particular battle. [​IMG] Another problem I've had is with digipacks having secutity tape; my Unforgiven SE had the tape applied directly to the slipcase. Even the first small corner was taking the artwork, so I just left that one on. . .

10. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

With everyone having these problems with security tape ripping the covers (yea, happened to my FOTR), why not contact the studio on each occation and request new covers? If these request become to many, they might take action. If they don't think the requests are that many, at least you'll get new covers.
    Here's another theory: Since security tape is not an issue on non-R1 releases, it might be the studios way of making non-R1 people buy R1 discs. [​IMG]
    --Anders

11. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I couldn't agree with you more [email protected] Here's a reprint of my post from a few months ago (not that it will do any good). I wish Warner would wake the hell up.
    ---

My latest shipment from DVD Empire was a mess. It's not their fault--it was, as always, packed very well--it's Warner's fault. There were 10 DVDs on my order, 5 of them are snappers. The non-snappers are all fine, but every one of the snapper DVDs has issues. All you snapper fan-boys that think the center hubs are so great must not buy many DVDs or must be very lucky. I find floaters in snapper cases all the time. I had 3 floaters in this shipment alone (The Thin Man, A Perfect World and Heartbreak Ridge). The hubs are not damaged at all, but they barely hold the DVD in place. I can pop the DVD off with a minimum amount of pressure without pressing the center button.

The other problem is the damned "security" tape. Who's the genius at Warner that though putting tape on cardboard was a good idea? I peel the tape off very carefully and I'm sick and tired of the ink coming off with it. I have 5 brand new Warner DVDs, and every one of them now has a damaged case, thanks to the security tape. Sometimes the tape comes right off, but other times it pulls some of the ink off with it. The worst one I've seen was my copy of "Proof of Life"; the tape pulled the ink of almost completely.

I know this has been discussed to death, but I'm sick and tired of paying good money for DVDs, only to have them damaged JUST BY OPENING THEM. So now I have to keep the damaged DVDs, or go through all the trouble of exchanging them via mail.

---

12. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

13. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    The three security stickers on snapper cases do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but potentially ruin the packaging. I know this because I actually saw some guy in a Sam Goody stealing discs out of snappers. He didn't bother with Amarays or other types because the snappers offered a unique opportunity: he could pop the spine open in less than a second and then slide the disc out into his pants. I ratted the guy out and they stopped him but not before he made off with well over a dozen discs.

Once again, SECURITY TAPE DOESN'T WORK!

14. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Happened to me with E.T.....

15. Ryan_TD

Ryan_TD Stunt Coordinator

I have around 40 snappers and so far only happened with Insomnia. Some of the cover artwork ripped off when I was (carefully) peeling the security labels off. So, I returned it and got another copy, which had the same exact problem again - but this time I said [email protected] it - and just kept it.
    Very annoying - Warner snappers suck...........

16. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

Same thing happened to me last month. I was being careful opening the stickers to avoid this problem as well...but what do you know, the security tape takes off a big chunk of the cardboard.

17. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

18. Ian Ramos

Ian Ramos Agent

19. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

20. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Since I see this has been moved to the feedback area, I'll say once again they need to STOP PUTTING TAPE ON SNAPPER CASES!! Having them outside on the shrinkwrap was better, as that verifies that the disc I was buying was new and sealed. I don't hate snappers, but putting tape on them can only make more people hate them.