Security Stickers Ruined My DVD Packaging

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Pakula, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I picked up the running man dvd today along with Commando since you could get 2 for 30 bucks. When I took the sticker at the bottom of the cover it ruined the bottom front of the cover of The Running Man DVD. Anyone else think these stickers are getting absurd?. Im thinking of going back to the store and saying the disc was defective. It's not like the whole cover is ruined but still I like my collection
    in good condition.

-Mike

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I've been pretty lucky, but I screwed up the cover of True Romance a couple months ago. I mainly just wish they'd get rid of the security stickers on the side and bottom of the case.

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I thought when you said it ruined part of your dvd, that you meant the DVD itself. We've had a lot of threads like this one in the past.

Yes, it sucks. You should be able to peel off the security label without having to worry about it screwing up your product. Go exchange it for another, it's a manufacturer defect.

4. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Second Unit

I hate it when that happens!

5. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

Yeah sorry about the title error of this thread.

-Mike

6. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Happens all the time to me, especially with some digipacks, and the cover insert on keepcases gets ruined along the edges if they don't push it all the way down in the clear plastic.

Then there's BS like some digipacks where the print under the security stickers comes off...BBC releases are big offenders here.

7. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

8. RichD

RichD Agent

I buy all my DVDs online. I hate the fact that I have to spend so much time removing the security junk -- even though there's no way I can steal from amazon.com or deepdiscountdvd! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Stunt Coordinator

I think I've been extremely lucky when it comes to the security tape, but that's not to say I haven't had problems. Back when "Monsters Inc." first came out, the covers had apparently shifted on the way to Wal*Mart, and when I removed the tape, it took about the bottom 1/4" of the cover with it. So, I called Disney, told them about it, and they sent me a brand new cover, free of charge.

The worst offender I've ever seen though is the "E.T." 20th Anniversary 2-disc set. Why they would go and put security tape directly on the cardboard sleeve baffles me to no end. I got mine open and removed without any damage at all, but I know a lot of people weren't so lucky. And since I haven't bought a snapper-cased DVD since they started putting that obnoxious tape all up and down the clip-side of the cover (and on the actual cover), I haven't had to deal with that probable mess.

10. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

All that tape really slows down my shoplifting. [​IMG]

11. Joe Kamsan

Joe Kamsan Stunt Coordinator

I got my Jerry Maguire 2-disc recently and that security device sticker was stuck under the plastic tray (!) so to remove it I had to lift up the tray and tear it off. Unfortunately those very adhesive security devices and paper are a bad mix. I got a huge tear now where the tag once was and it is annoying. Couldn't Columbia just put it ON the tray or even on the proof of purchase tabs like Warner do? Very frustrating for those of us DVD buyers with a collector's mentality (probably most people here).

12. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

After this happened to me a couple of times I only open dvd's with a straight razor blade. Works every time. Just be careful not to cut the packaging at that point.

djb