Securing a Center Channel to top of TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason GT, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

I'm not really sure where this sort of question belongs, so...

Does anybody have a good method of securing a center channel speaker to the top of a television set?

I have a 27" TV and a center channel that is 17" wide and weighs about 15 lbs. It can sit on the top of the TV by itself but doesn't seem really secure, especially if I prop up the back of the speaker to angle it towards the listening position.

Two solutions I have heard of:
    1) Tape
    2) velcro

I'm just suspicious that the eventual heat will degrade the adhesive leaving a rather ugly mess on both the TV and speaker.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

J

2. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

3. Richard Cook

Richard Cook Stunt Coordinator

Hi there

I use a speaker bracket of the type you can get from most DIY outlets or some HI-FI stores

They come in different lengths so just choose the one that suits your speaker.

Most have vertical and lateral adjustment, making the speaker easy to position

Am I missing something? Because brackets are rarely mentioned and they seem to be the obvious solution

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I have seen the contraption on the Crutchfield site available in stores like Bed Bath and Beyond. They make the same kind of thing for computer monitors.

I have my center speaker angled downward also, and to prevent any sliding I have some adhesive rubber nubs attached to the bottom of the speaker. This eliminates adhesive goo on one surface at least. I check on tbe speaker every so often but I never see any shift. The most I have it angled though is about 15 degrees, propped up with a plastic video case.

5. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Thanks for your response guys, I'll know to look for a tvtop stand.

J