Secrets shootout is misleading

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Hanrahan, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Ben Hanrahan

Ben Hanrahan Stunt Coordinator

I really think people are putting too much stock in the secrets shootouts, it seems to me that the shootout determines the quality of the player by doing a bunch of de-interlacing tests. For someone like me who basically watches movies, most players perform fine with 3:2 pulldown. And as for the chroma bug, I think that too is overhyped....Last week I went to future shop and they happened to get shipment on one rp-82 and I was the lucky guy who got it. I'm not that impressed with it! It's loud, the picture is good, but not great....the remote is garbage and the build quality is sub par. Secrets should include measurements of the noise of the dvd transport as well as measurements of audio jitter, those two factors could better help me pick a good player. But for now, i can't justify the $400 Canadian I paid for this player, I'm hoping to get a good quality movie player....that's all I want, when will such a product be available??????

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Well people have different priorities as what is "good picture" means.They have concentrated on what is acurate.
    ......And you don't think that jitter is overhyped?

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Ben,

I think with the RP82 its not only the de-interlacing, but the MPEG decoder thats onboard. I picked up one for $375 with extended warranty. Build quality on most DVD players(JVC, Pioneer, RCA, etc) is sub par. Unless your willing to spend large cash for their top of the line units. WHich most don't even come close to the RP82 performance. Remote is bad, actually real bad. From the looks of it nothing is coming out in the near future that will offer the performance of the RP82 and when it does you should still be able to get a good price on the player in the open market.

Kevin

4. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

Where does quality of build and staying power and ergonomics fit into the "performance" characteristics? To some of us, PQ is only ONE of the performance characteristics we're looking for.

I have a perfect CP72 that I'm likely to return because I want something that will last more than a year and can be passed on to someone else with confidence when I upgrade again.

Tim

5. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Does the rp-82 have multiple digital outs ? and if so does it have a coxial and a toslink out ?..thanks

6. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

Well for pure PQ the RP-82 cannot be beat. It has both coax and tosling connections but the other players like the cp72 and xp30 only have toslink.

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

8. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

If you have ~$1K to spend on a player, the RP82's image can be equaled (or bettered - see below) via the Denon 3800. Plus you get all the other stuff that ~$1K delivers over and above what the RP82 delivers.

Shootout 1 or 2 (don't remember which) gives the edge to the deinterlacing technology used in the Denon 2800/3800/9000's over that used in the RP82 with respect to DVD's based on film material. For DVD's based on video material, the deinterlacer used in the RP82 does have a small edge over that used in the Denon's.

The RP82's PQ is of course "good for the money" ...... if and only if you want to put up with all the other down-side stuff you get in a ~$200 player.

9. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

I'm guessing you mean within that price category because there are many players, for those that want to spend the money, that are better than the 82.

10. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

In the 3.5+ years since I got my first DVD player I traded up twice so the RP82 is my third. The first (Proscan PS8680Z) I gave away and the second (Toshiba SD4700) I sold to a friend. I've got a great transport and DAC for redbook CD playback so the DVD player is ONLY used for video/movies. To me, they are disposable. Why? Because in three years the leaps made in picture quality have been fantastic. Why would I spend $1k on something that's going to be well behind the 8ball in a short while - especially with HD-DVD on the horizon? To me, it doesn't make sense, to others it does. If you want the picture quality of the RP82 AND build quality then get a Denon. I, for one, am content with joe six pack build quality and near reference level video quality.

11. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

12. Ben Hanrahan

I just don't see the video quality being near reference level....the DEINTERLACING might be reference, but the overall video quality is not reference. This is my whole point, it de-interlaces weird material (maybe 5% of what I might watch) better than the others, so what?? I fell like the overall quality is nothing to write home about, I can clearly hear the thing playing a disc from across the room!!! This is much more annoying than a pixel by pixel, 2:2 pulldown deinterlace gone wrong!!!!

BTW, I love exclamation points!!!

13. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator

14. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

To quote from the Shootout:

15. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

While I agree that the "shootouts" go overboard in the emphasis on oddball deinterlacing performance, that doesn't mean the RP82 doesn't deliever a fine picture. It doesn't have any of the annoying flicker or chroma bugs that a lot of players have, it seems to give very rich, accurate color decoding and IT ONLY COST ME 200 BUCKS. And I think you'll find that the "shootouts" claim better picture quality for some of the $1,000+ units.

As for the non-video issues you mention, the remote isn't very nice but most of the remotes I have aren't much better. It has a very flimsy mechanical construction but since I don't have dogs or kids that's not an issue. As for quiet, are you talking about continuous playing or when you're moving around between chapters and titles? I can't hear mine at all from eight feet away when it's just playing a movie, which is what I bought it for. It certainly is loud at times when navigating menus and so forth.

I think it's kind of wierd that nothing similar is available on the market right now but it's even wierder that people are paying $400 for used ones in some sort of feeding frezy. It's a spectacularly good value at $200-$250 but for $400 all those complaints about durability, remote and so on are much more valid. Heck, try finding a decent-sounding single-disk CD player for $250 nowadays.

16. Ben Hanrahan

This is great stuff!! I could care less if there's a couple of pixels cropped if all I can hear is the damn transport making noise while I'm watching a movie. Watching a movie should be an immersive experience, I want to enjoy the movie, not look for artifacts, chroma bug and the like...Also, where is there proof that dd and dts sound the same on all players...Because if there is no difference then the best movie player ever made at any price point would be the Panasonic rp-82. Since sound is the same all around then No player in the world could rival the 82....I just don't believe that...why don't they sell it for $1000??

17. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Digital sound from DVD players is the same. Analog audio is a different story.

18. Ben Hanrahan

Charles,

that's easy to say...I could just as easily have said it, but it's not necessarily the truth. How can you be so sure?

19. Joseph G Blea

Joseph G Blea Auditioning

Well, from what I have seen, the Shootout didn't really go overboard. Seems more to me that the HT crowd reading the results are the ones that went overboard. I can't visit a HT site without reading people going nuts over the RP-82 just because 1 article said it was a recommended purchase. Add to this the fact that it's discontinued and not readily available and everybody is in even more of a frenzy. The
    RP-82 is a great unit at a great price. There is better if you want to pay more. I don't know about anyone else, but when I read those shootout results, I didn't think such a big deal was made about the RP-82. They liked what they saw and recommended it. Then I see everyone crapping their pants over this thing like it is the holy grail of DVD players. I just didn't see the authors of this shootout suggesting that when I read it. My opinion anyway.....

20. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Because 0 and 1's are all the same, it is the receviers DACs that make the difference.