What's new

Secret Revealed!!.. How studios pick the tv shows they release. (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
So long as I get all the TV series I want, I don't mind that they release series I'm not interested in. When I see announcements for more obscure shows, I take heart in the fact that if these are available now, then one day, my favorites will all start rolling out. So long as the TV-on-DVD bubble doesn't burst.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
:b Sorry David, bad joke I guess. I love John Ritter, I grew up with him on 'TC'. A sweet guy in my book.
(Jerry Seinfeld voice) "Who figures a relative of John Ritter is a member of the forum!?" ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
So long as I get all the TV series I want, I don't mind that they release series I'm not interested in. When I see announcements for more obscure shows, I take heart in the fact that if these are available now, then one day, my favorites will all start rolling out. So long as the TV-on-DVD bubble doesn't burst.
This is exactly the way I look at it. I don't want the majority of the shows currently available, but it does make the prospects of getting my favorite shows much more likely.
David, great news about the Columbia sets. If they're pleased with sales so far, we'll be pleased in the long run. There'll be some sticker shock on the next seasons of Sanford and the Jeffersons, but I'm in for the long haul now. And, I'll turn flips if What's Happening!! comes out. :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Thanks for that, John...I'm related to the man! Distant cousin through my great-grandmother Jenny Morris, I'm told.
Augggh! Too many jokes running through head!...Can't...choose...just...one!
Okay, I've settled on: Would outing Mr. Ritter as a relative of David's be considered enough of a scandal to ensure Three's Company's DVD release? Or would he rather we implicate him in a homicide.
[rimshot]Thank you ladies & germs, I'll be here all week. Try the surf and turf and don't forget to tip your waitress.
Addendum: For the record, if John Ritter discovered he was a distant relative to me, he would probably volunteer to be the victim of a homicide. Also for the record, and seriously for the first time this post, this means that David is also in some way related to Tex Ritter, which is pretty darn cool, too. :)
Regards,

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
David: Interesting theory, but IN COLD BLOOD, featuring what is arguably Blake's finest performance, remains MIA on DVD. It had NEVER received widescreen release in any format. You have to catch the occasional broadcast on TCM.

RichardMA

Second Unit
Todd, as I insinuated in other places, this is a function of Robert Blake's celebrity right now.
Personally, I figure most people who jump to buy a movie/tv
series on DVD because someone has become a murderer are
simply typical human trash. I for one cannot stomach watching that Mars trip movie with O.J. Simpson in it,
or any other movie he's appeared in. Blake hasn't been
found guilty yet, but it certainly appears that he did what he's accused of. I'll wait for the trial, but I have no
interest in getting "Baretta" DVDs just because Blake is
now an accused murderer. Those who are, are simply typical losers with nothing to excite them in life. They probably
rush home from work to catch the latest "reality" tv show
as well, assuming their fast food fry cook or security guard job allows them the right shift time to do this.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'll second the call for the chill pill. To wit:
...but I have no interest in getting "Baretta" DVDs just because Blake is now an accused murderer.
Nor I. I am just a fan of the show from back when I was 10 or so. Really.

The fact that he's in the news, for good or ill, reminds people of the old show. As long as the show is on the public's minds, it is likely to sell more...right? It doesn't take a degree to figure that out.

Blake's guilt or innocence is immaterial to whether or not Baretta is a good show and worth owning for fans who are reminded that they are fans.

That's all I have to say on the matter any more. It's not a theory...or, if it is, it is certainly not MY theory. It is coming. Each person will buy it or not, according to their desires. As with Capricorn 1, there are some folks who MIGHT have bought it that won't now, because they now dislike a star in the feature.

Hey, I hate Paul McCartney, but I enjoy his music. I won't describe my beef with Paul; it's my own deal, and not based on a personal meeting with the man or anything. Not worth going into here. The point is that my feeling's about the man's ethics, politics, etc. have nothing to do with my enjoyment of his talent, which is huge.

As for the movies named that Blake was in, I haven't investigated whether they are coming out or not. I just look into TV Shows, and on occasion I check into movies that I've seen and know I'd enjoy. I wouldn't be shocked if they hit the market before the trial is over, though. Or not, if Baretta doesn't sell.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
P.S. - My dad, who I get to see tomorrow for the first time in about 4 years, looks a HELL of a lot like one of Tex Ritter's pics on one of his albums. :wink:

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I sure wish they'd release The Night Stalker, Project UFO & The Night Gallery.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Sorry David, bad joke I guess. I love John Ritter, I grew up with him on 'TC'. A sweet guy in my book.
I love John because of The Dreamer of Oz, an excellent biographical TV movie about L. Frank Baum that has no excuse for never ever having been released on videocassette or DVD.

EDIT: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
So this means Tim Allen is going to have to start selling coke again to get Home Improvement season sets on DVD? :eek:
;)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Not to hijack this thread and turn it into a John Ritter discussion, but I also love him in drama's too. He did an excellent made for tv drama about ten years ago about spousal abuse where he played a violent, abusive husband who finally got help through a program for wife beaters, he blew me away in that! FAR removed from Jack Tripper! I'm pretty sure the movie was called Unforgivable. It was a true story too.
And of course we can't forget him as the psychotic, robotic boyfreind to Buffy's mom in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode 'Ted'. ;)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
David: Interesting theory, but IN COLD BLOOD, featuring what is arguably Blake's finest performance, remains MIA on DVD. It had NEVER received widescreen release in any format. You have to catch the occasional broadcast on TCM
Yes, why not "In Cold Blood", especially if you wish to take maximum advantage of Blake's trial on murder charges. Even without Blake's current notoriety, this film deserves a SE IMHO!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As far as "Cousin John" ( :D ) goes, I've enjoyed his comedic talents long before I knew we were kin. I grew up watching Three's Company, and though I enjoyed the bouncing of Joyce DeWitt and whoever the blond happened to be at the time, I was impressed by how much I was distracted from the T&A by the comedy stylings of Jack Tripper.
Later I saw John Ritter in Hero At Large - it's a sin this isn't out on DVD - and just adored the guy. Hooperman (what little of it I got to see) sealed the deal. I can't say I was impressed by any part of Skin Deep, but his turn in Problem Child reversed that for me. When he showed up in Ally McBeal I cracked up. It was around that time I found out we were related.
I finally caught his first appearence in Scrubs on a rerun about a month ago. The whole farting joke sounded like stuff I'd heard before...in the house I grew up! That's how I *knew* we were related. :wink:
I am looking forward to his new ABC show, "8 Simple Rules" (full title: "8 Simple Rules For Dating My Daughter"). Maybe if it succeeds we'll see Three's Company on DVD. Since his wife is played by Kate Segal, maybe we'd also get Married With Children. But the show looks promising on its own, so I'll try to tune in if I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks