What's new

Secret of the Incas (1954) Charlton Heston, Never released on DVD or BRD? (1 Viewer)

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Hmm. I was this close to picking up the Indicator release, but if there's a chance of getting a better one, I might hold off.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I could be wrong but I suspect Secret Of The Incas will turn up at part of KL's deal with Paramount. The Rainmaker, Detective Story and The Counterfeit Traitor are all derived from new transfers to name just three so why not Secret Of The Incas? Time will tell, fingers crossed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I could be wrong but I suspect Secret Of The Incas will turn up at part of KL's deal with Paramount. The Rainmaker, Detective Story and The Counterfeit Traitor are all derived from new transfers to name just three so why not Secret Of The Incas? Time will tell, fingers crossed.
Though, I purchase a lot of Kino titles, I have my doubts about those upcoming Kino Blu-rays derived from new transfers. I think Detective Story and The Counterfeit Traitor Blu-rays will tell us a lot since they can be compared to previously released Imprint Blu-rays.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
No.

They are enlargements from frame grabs from the Indicator Blu-ray. I thought that would be obvious.

I have no visual evidence of what was screened in LA earlier this month other than my memory. I couldn’t exactly record it as it was being projected.
Aparently not that obvious, or I would not have asked the question.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
well I can tell you that the Imprint ' The Detective Story ' bluray is very very good picture quality and doubt it will be bettered anywhere else .
I think the Paramount DVD quality is just fine, good enough for a movie like Detective Story. It's a small intimate B&W movie shot on a single set so I won't be upgrading. With a library pushing the 8,000 mark, I can't upgrade everything and must pick and choose where my meager dollars go.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
LINK: Secret of the Incas - examples of damage and color fringing on Imprint Blu-ray

Some shots are zoomed to 150-200% to highlight the damage and misalignment of the Technicolor matrices in case you are viewing the video on a small mobile device or computer monitor instead of a large HDTV (where no magnification is required for these flaws to stick out).

I noticed no color misalignment (save for a few opticals) or the blue blob that runs down the center of the frame in the transfer shown earlier this month at the Hollywood Heritage Museum.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I received the new ViaVision Imprint Blu of Secret Of The Incas on Tuesday from DD...Chuck has thankfully addressed the less-than-desirable technical quality of the transfer source, so I'd just like to add that it at least looks a little better than I had feared...the film is very enjoyable, and you have to admire the location filming in Peru at Machu Picchu...some pics I took of the new Blu...
SAM_0847.JPG

SAM_0846.JPG

SAM_0848.JPG

SAM_0849.JPG

SAM_0850.JPG

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I received the new ViaVision Imprint Blu of Secret Of The Incas on Tuesday from DD...Chuck has thankfully addressed the less-than-desirable technical quality of the transfer source, so I'd just like to add that it at least looks a little better than I had feared...the film is very enjoyable, and you have to admire the location filming in Peru at Machu Picchu...some pics I took of the new Blu...
View attachment 155618
View attachment 155619
View attachment 155620
View attachment 155621
View attachment 155622
Well at least they went all out on the packaging!! :D

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
....There is also a strange pulsing blue splotchiness on the Blu-ray image that appears down the center of the frame during some scenes in addition to multicolored bits of dirt that were absent from the clean and bright image we saw projected.
Yet another explanation why Mars is blue in the latest "War of the Worlds" release. ;)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I attended this screening of Secret of the Incas a few weeks ago at the Hollywood Heritage Museum in Los Angeles. A Blu-ray was projected, one without any menu. It was described as being a remastered version of the film direct from Paramount. It was my first time seeing the film, and I was surprised at how colorful and sharp it appeared.

View attachment 154948

I ordered the Indicator Blu-ray release and received it later the same week. It appears to be from an older master, the same that I e sampled on streaming services. Sometimes it looks gorgeous, other times unsteady and a bit murky, and there are many sequences where the Technicolor matrices are out of alignment. I noticed none of this in the version we saw at the Hollywood Heritage Museum. There is also a strange pulsing blue splotchiness on the Indicator Blu-ray image that appears down the center of the frame during some scenes in addition to multicolored bits of dirt that were absent from the clean and bright image we saw projected.

Here are some 1920x1080 screen caps of the Indicator Blu-ray. Sometimes it is beautiful, but more often it looks a little dogeared.

View attachment 154949 View attachment 154950 View attachment 154951 View attachment 154952 View attachment 154953 View attachment 154954 View attachment 154955 View attachment 154956 View attachment 154957 View attachment 154958 View attachment 154959 View attachment 154960 View attachment 154961 View attachment 154962

Here is a frame capture showing the weird blue splotches that run down the middle of the frame in some shots (it’s easier to see in motion). Note that the lady here is Marion Ross from Happy Days!

View attachment 154970

I hope Kino licenses the new master we saw screened from Paramount for release on Blu-ray in the US.
Saw that kind of blue problem on the laserdisc of Scaramouche maybe RAH can tell us what caused it

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
View attachment 160461

Called it!

This will be from the master I saw projected in Hollywood last month with NO color fringing, no colored dirt, and a dar sharper, more stable image.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks