What's new

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I know this title has been tossed about in threads occasionaly, but it sure sems strange that Paramonut hasn't even released it on DVD?? Who else would be up for a restoration of this Thechnicolor South American beauty? Secret of the Incas is a 1954 adventure film starring Charlton Heston as adventurer Harry Steele, on the trail of an ancient Incanartifact. Shot on location at Machu Picchu in Peru, the film is often credited as the inspiration for Raiders of the Lost Ark. The supporting cast features Robert Young, Nicole Maurey and Thomas Mitchell, as well as a rare film appearance by Peruvian singer Yma Sumac.

The film is often cited by film buffs as a direct inspiration for the Indiana Jones film franchise, with many of the scenes in Raiders of the Lost Ark bearing a striking resemblance in tone and structure to scenes in Secret of the Incas. Throughout Secret of the Incas, the main character, Harry Steele, can be seen wearing what would later become known as the "Indiana Jones" outfit: brown leather jacket, fedora, tan pants, an over-the-shoulder bag, and revolver.[14] The character also sometimes wears a light beard, unusual for films of its time, and there is a tomb scene involving a revelatory shaft of light similar to the "Map Room" sequence in Raiders.

Raiders' costume designer Deborah Nadoolman Landis noted that the inspiration for Indiana's costume was Charlton Heston's Harry Steele in Secret of the Incas: "We did watch this film together as a crew several times, and I always thought it strange that the filmmakers did not credit it later as the inspiration for the series" and quipped that the film is "almost a shot for shot Raiders of the Lost Ark."[15]

All of this and not even a DVD?? Shame on you Paramount!! Shame on you!!!

Attachments

• 4775648_l3.jpg
    4775648_l3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 36
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9.5 KB · Views: 33
  • secret-of-the-incas-31.gif.png
    secret-of-the-incas-31.gif.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 30
  • EVzcPkUX0AAAzBZ.jpg
    EVzcPkUX0AAAzBZ.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I purchased the iTunes HD digital last year. It definitely needs work before any Blu-ray release. Yes, Spielberg and Lucas definitely watched this movie in their youth.
I'm old school, LOL!! I like somthing in my hands to read and file, load and watch...I know many titles are MIA, but you'd think this one would be a no brainer for Paramount, right? Big Budget....Tecnicolor and Cinema-scope most likely? It just seems sad to see a bad edition of burned Pop & drop versions!!!

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I'm old school, LOL!! I like somthing in my hands to read and file, load and watch...I know many titles are MIA, but you'd think this one would be a no brainer for Paramount, right? Big Budget....Tecnicolor and Cinema-scope most likely? It just seems sad to see a bad edition of burned Pop & drop versions!!!
No Cinemascope.
Just Charlton Heston bending the unwilling forces of nature to his desire!

Le Secret Des Incas.jpg

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
It has been released by ViaVision in Australia as part of a six DVD/six Chuck Heston movie pack. The transfers are all from older, unrestored masters but quite OK for DVD. Incas is finally correctly matted to 1.85 which looks fine, and despite lower res and PQ generally the color looks nice, like it was taken from a vault recomb print. I’m happy with it after years of the garbage bootleg with distorted picture geometry. It’s of course a hoot in part for Yma Sumac lip syncing a couple of her hits with Les Baxter arrangements. Cold War camp essentially with Chuck still playing an early career sex object for horny older women. Hard to resist.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It has been released by ViaVision in Australia as part of a six DVD/six Chuck Heston movie pack. The transfers are all from older, unrestored masters but quite OK for DVD. Incas is finally correctly matted to 1.85 which looks fine, and despite lower res and PQ generally the color looks nice, like it was taken from a vault recomb print. I’m happy with it after years of the garbage bootleg with distorted picture geometry. It’s of course a hoot in part for Yma Sumac lip syncing a couple of her hits with Les Baxter arrangements. Cold War camp essentially with Chuck still playing an early career sex object for horny older women. Hard to resist.
That's probably where the iTunes HD Digital is derived from those same elements.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Cold War camp essentially with Chuck still playing an early career sex object for horny older women. Hard to resist.

It's been awhile since I have seen it. I believe one of those women who signed up for one of Chuck's "tours" was played by Marion Ross (of Happy Days fame).

This was made during Chuck's surly, cynical antihero days.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
It’s his major pre-DeMille picture. After that he became a statue, and to be fair, he had the guts to fight for Welles on Touch of Evil and the anti racist sub text of it, while he was still a liberal.

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It’s his major pre-DeMille picture. After that he became a statue, and to be fair, he had the guts to fight for Welles on Touch of Evil and the anti racist sub text of it, while he was still a liberal.
and this was right after Naked Jungle...another under rated film!!

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
the Haskin film has just had a Blu Ray release here, the quality is not very good, again the source looks like a bare 1080p done-in-a-hurry scan. It's the same source as the DVD and looks no better frankly. Pity it's the pick of the six titles.

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I’m old school too, but watching my favorite movies by any means necessary is more important to me because I can’t live forever, waiting on all of them getting a Blu-ray release.
What's so sad is they didn't even bother with a decent DVD edition!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
the Haskin film has just had a Blu Ray release here, the quality is not very good, again the source looks like a bare 1080p done-in-a-hurry scan. It's the same source as the DVD and looks no better frankly. Pity it's the pick of the six titles.
I disagree with you about "The Naked Jungle" Blu-ray. It's not great, but it's not among my worst looking Blu-rays either. Also, I think it looks much better than the DVD and even the iTunes HD digital that I purchased some years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleyquinn
Recent bookmarks