1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Secret of My Success Anamorphic? (M.J. Fox Comedy Collection)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by BrandonJF, May 12, 2007.

1. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

Has anyone picked up the new Michael J. Fox Comedy Favorites Collection? Some sites are listing The Secret of My Success as being anamorphic, which would be huge for me if it's true. I somehow doubt it, but I also remember the first appearance of an anamorphic version of Smokey and the Bandit was in their "Franchise Collection" package.

2. James_Garner

James_Garner Stunt Coordinator

James Garner
    I picked it up today and I have two counts of good news and one count of bad news. The bad news is "For Love and Money" loses the dts audio (Found on the original DVD) in order to double-feature it with "The Hard Way" while "Secret of My Success" and "Greedy" are both on separate DVDs. The good news are A: "Secret of My Success" is indeed anamorphic; and B: The audio sync problem that marred the original release of "Hard Way" has been corrected on this release. So if you have the original pressings of "Hard Way" and/or "Secret of my Success," don't hestiate to upgrade. The set contains trailers for all 4 films, also

3. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

I did end up ordering it earlier today after seeing the back cover mentioning the anamorphic transfer on "The Secret of My Success". This is the best news outside of an HD-DVD release (but, I'm not holding my breath on that one).

I like how Universal sneaks these new transfers onto these "collection" sets. I would've paid the $20 just for the new "Secret of My Success" transfer... well, I technically am since I do already own the other movies in the set (and already had had Universal replace the original pressing of "The Hard Way" with one without the audio sync issue).

4. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Stupid question, but is the Night Ranger music video for the theme on the DVD? I doubt it is, but thought I'd ask.

I just saw the video last week on VH1 Classics, so I was wondering. It is the band singing, along with clips from the film.

I'm surprised that more DVD's don't include the original music videos. You can cite music rights, but in this films case, the song only existed on the film's soundtrack, from MCA / Universal records.

And even in other cases, like say Billy Idol's "Cradle of Love" video, that was on the ADVENTURES OF FORD FAIRLANE DVD which sold for under $10. The song and video were far more popular than the film. Yet, they were able to include it.

Videos were also more a part of the marketing of a film in the 80's than a theatrical trailer, which are often included. Universal especially. But, the never seem to include the videos on the DVDs.

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I'm guessing it all depends on the initial contract for the song. Some would have assigned the copyright in the song, and possibly the music video as well, to the studio and therefore the studio wouldn't even have to negotiate for it at all, since it was already the owner. Or record label and studio are part of the same conglomerate, makign it easier (we assume?) to negotiate a reasonable deal.

6. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Disappointed that Doc Hollywood wasn't included in this collection. I enjoy that film, and the current DVD release is pan and scan. Still waiting for an anamorphic widescreen release. Is there one in another region??

7. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    Doc Hollywood is anamorphic widescreen on the UK R2 DVD, I know because I own it, quite a nice transfer from what I can remember.

Doc Hollywood is owned by Warner Bros. and this is a Universal set, so that's why it wasn't included.

8. The Drifter

The Drifter Second Unit

Jim
    I just re-watched The Secret of My Success (1987) for the first time in many years. Great film, and very funny look at greedy corporate America in the late '80's. Michael J. Fox plays a young college graduate who goes to the "big city" for the first time in order to try to make his fortune. Helen Slater plays an ambitious corporate executive (with a "Princess Diana" haircut), whom Fox falls for the first time he sees her.

It was amusing to see the deception the Fox character employed in order to "take over" someone else's "vacant" position & make the company think he had been hired by them as an executive, when in reality he worked in the company mail room - LOL.

Really enjoyed the nostalgic trip back to the late '80's. The numerous NYC street scenes throughout the film
    (especially in the beginning) were great.

This film also boasts a great soundtrack. In addition to the title track, other excellent songs include: Pat Benatar's Sometimes the Good Guys Finish First; Katrina & the Waves' iconic track Walking on Sunshine; Yello's Oh Yeah; Bananarama's Riskin' a Romance; etc.