What's new

Disney+ Secret Invasion (Marvel Cinematic Universe) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I trust Marvel will do this right but I was never a fan of anything with the Skrull.

Too easy to rewrite characters and change things by saying “oh that was just a Skrull, Jimmy didn’t really die.”

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You're right, but I think it depends on how they are using the Skulls narratively.

In Far From Home the first time I watched it, after they revealed that Quentin Beck was a former Stark employee, I thought, "I really like this movie, but that doesn't make sense." Nick Fury spent years observing Tony before eventually having him join The Avengers. There's no way that Nick Fury wouldn't know Stark's employees. So even though I was on board with the movie, it kept gnawing at me that Fury should have seen through Beck's illusions.

Then at the end of the movie when they revealed that Nick Fury was in space and that the "Nick Fury" Peter was interacting with was actually Talos, that worked for me. It was entirely reasonable for Talos not to know that Quentin Beck once worked for Tony Stark, even though Fury would have. So In that case, it actually fixed what had seemed like a plot hole to me before the twist was revealed, and I was really glad that they did that.

If it ends up overused, that's a problem. But if it's used well and for a specific story purpose, that's fine. So I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see where they go with this.

(Belated edit only to correct a typo.)

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Do we know if this is set before or after the Captain Marvel sequel?

Officially, no. Feige announced it as being in development last December at the Disney Investor Day show, but didn't give a date for it. He said that Nick Fury and Ben Mendelson will be returning and that it will tie directly into feature films.

Because this was just announced very recently, it seems like they are in the beginning of the process. Captain Marvel 2 has a release date for November 2022 and is going to get underway soon. So my guess is that Captain Marvel 2 will be first, followed by Secret Invasion after that. But that's just a guess and not in any way confirmed.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Because this was just announced very recently, it seems like they are in the beginning of the process. Captain Marvel 2 has a release date for November 2022 and is going to get underway soon. So my guess is that Captain Marvel 2 will be first, followed by Secret Invasion after that. But that's just a guess and not in any way confirmed.
The reason I asked is because the Film & Television Industry Alliance has this starting shooting on April 5th, whereas the Captain Marvel sequel still doesn't have a production start date (but presumably won't begin until the first season of "Ms. Marvel" finishes shooting in May.)

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
I could see either way working well. I just hope that Captain Marvel 2 doesn't get too big or overstuffed and we get some good development for Carol. I didn't mind what they did with the first film, but I would really like to see her spread her wings. Marvel usually do right by their characters though.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Kingsley Ben-Adir, who recently appeared as Malcom X in Regina King's Amazon movie One Night in Miami, is joining the cast of Secret Invasion. Deadline hears that he will be playing a "lead villain" but of course Marvel won't comment.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I didn't watch Game of Thrones so I have only seen her in Solo (meh) and Me Before You (one of the worst and most deeply offensive movies ever made.) So I've never seen her in anything that I think is good. Maybe Marvel can turn my opinion of her around.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't watch Game of Thrones so I have only seen her in Solo (meh) and Me Before You (one of the worst and most deeply offensive movies ever made.) So I've never seen her in anything that I think is good. Maybe Marvel can turn my opinion of her around.
She was phenomenal on "Game of Thrones", one of those performances that evolved drastically from the first episode to the last.

Her feature film choices have left quite a bit to be desired, though. I thought she was a terrific young Sarah Connor is a terrible Terminator movie, and I liked her as the femme fatale in Solo. Me Before You and Last Christmas were both rom-coms with offputting, macabre twists.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In the least surprising Marvel news of the year, Cobie Smulders is going to be in Secret Invasion. Since Maria Hill usually goes wherever Nick Fury goes, it would be more surprising if she wasn't in this. But now it's official.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks