What's new

Secondary receiver (1 Viewer)

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be moving my home theater setup to a different room but would still like a decent surround setup in my family room. I'm looking for suggestions on "best bang for the buck" on a 5 channel receiver. Remember, I don't need high end HT, just casual watching and music listening.

Thanks
Rick

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
IMHO in that circumstance there's almost no way you could go wrong with a simple Home-Theatre-in-a-Box solution. I like Onkyo gear and folks here seem to have had good experiences with their HTIB combinations. Another place I've had excellent, personal experience with is Cambridge Soundworks (www.hifi.com) and they have several packages, tho' Onkyo seems to have a slightly better bang-for-buck evaluation.

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for the input. On the off hand chance that I can keep my existing speakers in my family room and only need a receiver, would you still recommend Onkyo or go with something else?

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Maybe... depends on the speakers, the room, your budget and exactly what specs you'd be looking for. Onkyo is a good brand, but there are lots of good AVRs out there in every price range. At the moment I own receivers by Onkyo, Panasonic and Denon. I'm happy with each of them -- they serve my purpose and the budget I set for each. Brand is much less important to me than value and I've "outgrown" the need for the best available stuff (and don't listen to anything my wife might say on that subject!).

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
best bang for the buck is in older used stuff. I just got an Integra DTR 7 for a little over $300. It's perfect for my 5.1 only room and worlds better than anything new or refurbished in that price range.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I put a WTB post here in the Hardware for sale forum and got a nice fellow HTFer who had it taking up space in his closet email me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks