What's new

Second thoughts....... (1 Viewer)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Again. Since the HTF is such a great place to ask weird questions....here we are with another.

Short story long....

It's Saturday morning. I'm at work.
Last week here at work, some guy actually had the nerve to take some flowers out of a trash can & give them to someone else. Idiot didn't think about the fact the girl he gave them too is just across from the person who threw them away ( :laugh: )
So, being Mr. Mini-romantic I am bought her some flowers. A nice little basket $14.99 (again :laugh: ) but now I'm having second thoughts about leaving them here for her. I know she will be here tommorow & get them.
I work in a small office (20 people) and don't want to make a big deal of it. We're both single but I don't want this to seem like I've got a thing for her.
Now the flowers are out in my truck... but
Any advice? If you were to leave them, what would be a good way to word the card?

Thanks.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Unless you actually ae trying to get this person's interest, I'd say bad idea. It might:

1) Give her the wrong impression, leading to much awkwardness in two possible ways:

1.1) She is attracted to you and takes the gesture as a romantic overture

1.2) She ISN'T attracted to you and is just creeped out by "Mr. Romantic"

2) Cause the clueless guy to hold a grudge against you, which might make life at work difficult for you, if he can influence your job in any way, shape, or form.

3) It's not a gesture designed to make her feel good, it's a gesture meant to make YOU feel big and thoughtful. And that's not a good reason to do something for someone else.

I'd forget about the flowers, honestly.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
For 1) I'd say we both have some attraction towards each other but have never acted on it. We're both kind of shy people. She's a few (6) years older than I. We do talk & flirt a little at work. But never hinted around about going out. (isn't rule #1 is no dating people at work? :laugh: )
2) Clueless guy IS clueless. Either way... he'd never know & is no threat.
3) They are to make her feel good. I'm not doing this for me. She deserves to get flowers but not 2nd hand flowers.

Seriously. I can back out if you all think it's a good idea. Mom could always use a nice basket.

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
As someone who used to give flowers at the drop of a hat, I would say pass on this one unless YOU have a reason to give them to HER. It doesn't have to be a romantic one, but one that is clear (at least mostly) to her. That way she doesn't have to wonder whether you have suddenly moved into stalker-land, or if you have some feelings for her (which may or may not be good).

If you want to leave the flowers on her desk anonymously, that might be okay, but again might give her some concerns about a stalker person. (These days, with jilted guys and exes gunning down girls all over, ladies can't be too careful.)

If you want to go for it, I'd would suggest you state simply your reason.
"You are a nice person who deserves something a little better than second-hand flowers. So here you are."

Just my 2 cents.

Bond. Paul Bond.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Thanks Paul. I'd say there is "some" interest.
She's the kind of girl that won't think of me as a "stalker type". I'm quite innocent & they all know it.
I did put them on her desk. She will be the only one to see it.
The note you suggeested was extremely close to what I came up with.

"I thought you deserved better than to get "used" flowers

When they die you can use the basket :) (yes I was able to print an actual smilie)
-B "

I think I'll be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks