What's new

Second subwoofer cable length question. (1 Viewer)

mitch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mitchell Miles
Hi All,

I'm thinking about adding a second sub to the back of my Home Theater room [about 30 feet from the front HDTV and receiver area]. My question is, how much sound degredation do you get if you use a decent cable [like a BetterCable or an Ultra from RiteAV]? I would probably have to order at least 50 feet in order to snake the cable up over the dropped ceiling and down through the paneling in the back.

Would it help if I ordered more expensive cables considering the long run? If you have any other suggestions on cables, please let me know.

Has anyone else had experience in setting up a second sub to their system? I currently have the SVS PB 12 Plus/2 [which I just got and love!], and I still have my Velodyne HGS 15 which I decided not to sell. The Velo would be the 2nd sub in the back [unless I reverse it and put the Velo in the front].

Thanks for the help as always,

Mitch

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mitch, a lot of people seem to disagree with me, but I'm not a big fan of subs in the back of the room. Is there a place in the front, but not right next to the SVS where you can put the Velodyne? At least you don't have to get 50' of cable to try it out.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW Mitch, I'm wondering if you ever played anything with decent bass content at a good level, and sat on the sub...

It's an experience, trust me.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Multiple subs in different locations can smooth the response IF you spend the time and have the tools to calibrate them accordingly. Otherwise you could end up with less bass than you started with. I'm a fan of going big in one location. That's why I use a pair of 15's with 2,000w of power in the front of the theater room.

As for the cable, I like to use RG-59 or RG-6 with RCA connectors soldered on. It works just as well as retail cables and costs much less.

-Robert

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Not necessarily more expensive, but better. Analog sub cable runs are by FAR the least critical cables in the system. Your only real concern is just that it's well shielded. Any decent coax will work fine for that. If for whatever reason you want 100% overkill peace of mind, you can always go for canare/belden pro-grade cabling. But for a sub run, that's likely just a waste of money.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I personally don't like subs in the back of the room either. If you are going to have two, collocating will make your calibration issues far simpler.

I second the RG-59/RG-6

mitch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mitchell Miles
Thanks for the great advice. I'm really happy with my new SVS PB 12 Plus/2 and it's probably plenty enough for my home theater [even though I'm a sub aholic!].

I'll probably just put my Velo on the market.

Thanks,

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks