Second sub. Paradigm or SVS?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Steve Lucas, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a Paradigm PW-2200 sub in my dedicated HT room (about 1680 cubic feet). I am wanting to add a second sub. Not that my present sub doesn't rattle the whole house, but I want to be able to feel the bass in my chest without having to run really high volume levels. I had intended to simply add another SW-2200, but I've been reading a lot about SVS subs here. Does anybody have any idea how an SVS 16-46PC+ would pair with my digm pw-2200?
    I know I'd give up some db's to get the extension of the 16 hz tuning, but volume isn't a problem as the digm is a stout sub. I'm thinking that the extra extension would help with the kind of bass you feel in your bones.
    Any ideas or comments on pairing these two subs? Anybody think I'd be better off to stay in the family and buy a second pw-2200?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
    Steve

2. Mike Matthews

Mike Matthews Stunt Coordinator

Steve -

I just ordered myself a home theater system consisting of Paradim Monitor 11s, Mini Monitors, and a CC-370. However, I too began thinking about SVS after reading so much about them on here. The recommended subwoofer for my system was the PW2200, so I emailed SVS, explained my set up and my goals for my system, and asked them how an SVS would compare to the PW2200. Within a few hours, I found this in my inbox:

Hi Michael,

The Denon/Paradigm combo should be excellent...I've heard quite a few products from both manufacturers and they continually impress me.

The pw2200 is a solid unit. When Tom Nousaine measured the PW2200 it hit 108.0dBs (max clean output from 25-63hz) and managed 84dBs at 20hz...with solid in room extension to 28hz. When he measured our old 20-39cs the same way($479 passive, $599 powered) it hit 109.5dBs 25-63hz, had 91dBs of clean output at 20hz (about double the pw2200) and
    extended to 25hz. So at 3/4 the cost...we actually outgunned the pw2200 in every performance department..[​IMG] That was the old 20-39cs too, now we have the BASS amp with over 300 watts and the new ISD driver so I am
    very confident we would perform even better!

The best subwoofer for you will depend greatly on the size of the room. In an averaged sized room, I would go with the 20-39PCi I mentioned above. It is quite a bit less expensive than the pw2200 and will outgun it performance wise in all regards(see the above text). I would guess
    anything more powerful than the 20-39PCi would just up the chances of your neighbors complaining..[​IMG]

Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions Michael,

Tom V.
    SVS

______

not only were the stats convincing, but the fast and honest customer service really impressed me. i now have a 20-39 PCi on it's way in the mail [​IMG]

3. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

Well of course he going to say its way better hes selling it

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Nathan:

I guess you really don't know Tom. He is not afraid at all to recommend a product that he believes is better to his customers.

Steve:

I have had a lot of people say that they added a SV Sub to their PW 2200 sub and the addition was exactly what they wanted and more. I would give Tom or Ron and email and ask them what they would recommend in their line up. I am sure that 20-39PCi or one of their new box subs would work out great.

Parker

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

You won't find a more honest guy that won't over sell you at all than Ron at SVS.

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Being in sales myself Nathan I understand your thought. If you knew Tom and the product he provides and sells??...You would understand just how far your assumption is off.

Which model would you like to try out Nathan? You only know what you know so you might as well get to know a little more. Then you will really know.:wink:

7. Nathan Porteous

Hey they might be top notch guys but if they dont think their product is superior than everyone elses what the hell are they selling them for, and why would they send michael a email telling him that an svs "will out gun it performance wise in all regards" And i dont want to try a model because i live in canada and i can get other subs way cheaper, i just got my pw2200 for $550 cdn , i could get a servo 15 for under 1000 cdn amomng others, but since i already had a ps1000 i joined the 2 and now have a awsome combo in my opinion hitting 115db and higher to go along with my whole studio series setup. Im just defending my paradigms just like your defending svs, NOW im not saying hes wrong or that svs is crap or something like that i've heard a PB1+ it was impressive but isn't it funny that anyone thatif someone asks a sub question theres always a svs thats right for you. Well not always

Remember no matter how good it is there's always something better just around the corner.

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Nathan,

You are correct in that I'll have a bias towards SVS, that is why I always try to use the available performance data(gathered by independent reviewers) when asked to comment on a different sub via email. I replied to an email Michael sent me asking me for my thoughts on the two units and I offered them...only using published data on each unit. I wonder how paradigm would have replied? [​IMG]

You should defend the 2200, very good unit...and I do tend to recommend paradigm to folks living in canada a lot.

btw, no one outside of the SVS skunkworks has heard a PB1+ yet.

Tom V.
    SVS

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Yes I agree there is always something better right around the corner. You can bet your bottom $$ that SVS knows this also and subsequently are always improving on their product line and offerings.

You have a good point being in Canada admitedly. Thats why I would suggest the PB2+ to you. Precision bang for your dollar. (I'm just playing now) Well come to think of it! Maybe you would like to try one?[​IMG]

10. Nathan Porteous

Tom thats what i was getting at, of course paradigm would have said different they would have had different data well you know what i mean. LOL sorry pb-1 my bad a pb2+ eh? Come on tom i think you'd better send me one for free just to show me how much better it is than my pw2200 wink wink [​IMG]

11. James~P

James~P Stunt Coordinator

mabey SVS is always suggested because SVS really is the best out there for the money? [​IMG]

by the way tom you look great! have you been losing weight? working out? ineedanewsub nice muscles! great car. you're awsome. marry me. i'll mow your lawn! you sure do rock my socks off!

12. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Steve,
    I have owned a PW2200 and a PDR 10 a SV20-39cs and a Paradigm Servo 15a. This was with a Studio 100/CC/ADp450/Active 20 setup. I currently have the first PB2 Ultra (I think). Bang for the buck,dollar for dollar my choice would be SVS. I have a huge room 7500x3 plus and I was never able to get reference, hair standing on the back of the neck bass until 8 weeks ago. I am finally satisfied! My only choice would be the SVS subs.

Steve

13. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

TV is a great guy...honest as can be...Just the other day, he told someone they may be better off with a velo 15" ...yes...HE SAID THAT...because of the size, and problem the guy was having...the PB2 is big...PB1 isn't small either...but he did recommend 2 subs..I know the velo was one.