Second Room HT Sub or Subs?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Justin*Smith, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Justin*Smith

Justin*Smith Agent

Jan 4, 2006
    I've got a main level room that is the primary home theater area. In my basement, I've got a second home theater-type are that used to be the primary room. I want to get a couple new subs for this room, something cheaper than the SVS PB12-Plus/2 I'm getting upstairs as this room isn't used as much. However, I'd still like good response, not boomy bass. Room size is
    14.5' x 20' x 8' and has hardwood floor.

My question, I don't really want to spend more than say $700 for this room:

2 of these for $500:

2 of these for $600:

Or should I just get a single driver from SVS? Just wondering, at these prices, would the dual drivers be better from these manufacturers than a single driver from SVS? Thanks for all the input
  2. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

Sep 2, 2005
    I'd do one sub. your room is not so big that it can't be done. With 2 subs you can run into cancellation problems with some of the low frequencies - Sound waves actually canceling each other out. Placement of dual sub configurations can be critical. I found this out personally. In my old room I got better bass response turning one of my subs off. I didn't have a lot of options on where to place them. I've got more flexibility for the placement in my new room and the room isn't perfectly square, so I shouldn't have an issue now.
    Now the question is do you Down or Forward firing? I'd think you would want a Front firing sub with all Hardwood floors?