Second Question: Hearing where the speakers are

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DanielKellmii, Feb 6, 2004.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

I have bought the Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-up DVD and gone thought the Audio portion. I do not have a SPL meter yet. I will get one eventually, but I have been spending a lot of money recently on my HT, and I need a little break. Other things need money and attention as well. I am trying to make a sound field in such a manner that it is difficult to locate the speakers. I have a 6.1 system. Due to the shape of the room, all three rear speakers are on the back wall at the same height. The height is what the manual suggested. My front left and right speakers are a foot higher then recommend and my center channel is just above the TV. I did go through the set-up and entered the distances. My rears function fine, it is my front left and right that stand out. I have checked for phase, and all things seem OK. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Spread them farther apart. Play around with toe-in (direction they're angled). What it says in the manual may not be ideal for your setup. They're just guidelines.

The only way you'll truly develop as seamless a soundfield as you can is by SPL meter. The difference between an uncalibrated and a calibrated system is night and day. And since an SPL meter costs the same as what? Two DVDs? It should be an *essential* component in your HT.

3. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Ok Ok, off to radio shack I go.