What's new

Second Opinion Phillips 46" HDTV (1 Viewer)

RodBracey

Auditioning
Aloha.

This is my first post and I am here to gain a little knowledge in putting together the audio/visual in my new apartment. I got a great deal on a Philips (46PP9302) 46'' Digital Widescreen High Definition TV, ($1199), and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on this particular model or Phillips products in general.

If you would like more info on the features of this model I can provide.

Mahalo.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have had my philips 60pp9202 for a couple of months, and am really happy with it.

That is a decent price on it too for you.

Philips picture quality is way under rated in my opinion by most people.

I'd give the purchase a two thumbs up and a twist.

Let us know if you purchase. Us Philips owners gotta stick together on here ya know. lol

RodBracey

Auditioning
Well, the purchase has been made. There was also a pretty good deal on a 60" but my couch is only 6 feet away from the spot where the screen would be. :D Thanks for the Philips High 5. I've only ready 2 not-so-good reviews on it but 90% of the reviews gave it thumbs up with minor quirks. One of the quirks mentioned the most was lack of a second tuner. I only watch 1 channel at a time anyway. :emoji_thumbsup:

John S

Senior HTF Member
Not so much quirks with em, as trade offs, like no DVI input, stuff like that. It has a good progressive scan in it, it excels with cheap DVD players that are non progressive scan using component output. Philips calls this input the CVI input.

Your set does have a feature over mine, one more HD input, sort of cool, it is the 15 pin VGA type found on most computers. Mine only has one true HD input. But for $1248 for a 60" beautiful set, I'll live with it. I am lucky my AVR has Component Video Switching.

I will be eager to read you impressions of it.

RodBracey

Auditioning
Well, my fiance will get a preview of it before I do since I am deployed; sailing at high speed across the bounding waves with the Navy. I ordered it online and I am having it delivered to her.

I'm sorta new to the whole big screen deal. How do the new ones hold up against video games and computers? I remember the old big screens always seem to burn-in images left by video games.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I don't feel burn is to much of an issue.

Most people that have had burn in, abused their sets. Not all but most, with way unreasonable picture control setting when using their video games.

Philips APAC feature gaurds against this about as well as it can be , even though you will see lots of cautions about it in the manual, I would not be to concerned about it really.

RodBracey

Auditioning
Ok, so my order was mysteriously lost and no one at the Navy Exchange can explain the loss but they offered me a different HDTV at the same cost as the one I ordered, (the Philips isn't available anymore)....

Hitachi (51F500) 51'' Digital 16:9 HDTV Monitor/Projection Television

1,280 line resolution
1080i/540p user selectable display
1080i/720p/50p/480p/480i processing
3:2 film correction
26 point motion adaptive video processing
4 A/V inputs (1 front/3 rear)
3 S-Video inputs (1 front/2 rear)
2 sets of wideband component video inputs
DVI-HDTV digital video input
Converter box output
Monitor A/V out with S-Video
Variable audio hi-fi output
2 RF inputs
High brightness 4 element lens system
Digital Window Dual Tuner PIP with HD split screen
High contrast 0.52 mm fine pitch screen
Magic Focus 8 sensor auto digital convergence
Digital 4 MB 3D Y/C comb filter
4:3 standard, 4:3 expanded, 4:3 zoom 1, 4:3 zoom 2, 16:9 standard and 16:9 zoom
Advanced velocity scan modulation ( on-off)
3 language on-screen menu ( English, Spanish, French)
Glow-in-the-dark preprogrammed remote
News, movies, music and sports theater modes
Cool, warm and standard color temperature control
SRS surround sound
BBE sound enhancement
Black level expansion
Built-in high contrast protective screen
Parental locks
Auto link (video input sensor)

Any further thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics