Second Look: The Road To El Dorado

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scooter, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Sat down and watched this again last night..and I have to say I enjoyed it even more this time. I guess because I have some idea of what is coming and I can pay more attention to the craft..the excellence in animation this flick achieves.

Even more so..in this viewing I saw again the attention to detail in the fluid movement of the animation...the remarkable expression of them as characters and the full evolution of the two as they go about their adventure and emerge, not as charicatures but fully fleshed out individuals. And the imagery of the opening sequence should really be set apart from other animated features..the imagination and execution in tune with the title song by Elton John and Tim (Jesus Christ Superstar/The Lion King) Rice is above so much else!

If you ain't seen it..rent/but it and enjoy with your whole family.

2. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I agree Scooter. The animation in this flick is amazing.

While we're talking about fluid movement, I happen to think Anastasia has incredible animation. The body movements are just brilliant. I find myself captivated by the detail and flow of the characters. Some of the scenes are breathtaking.

N

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The Road To El Dorado was one very under-rated movie and DVD. A great flick which I thoroughly enjoyed. I tend to much prefer the PG rated animated fare above the traditional Disney G stuff.

BTW, ..... interesting sig there Scoot.

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    scoot if you leave off the "http://" in your web site link recommendations they will automaticly become clickable.

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

The Road to El Dorado is, like Mr. Joseph noted, very underrated. I think a lot of the negativity is due to an overexposure of animated musicals. Some of the CGI could have been better done......one sequence in particular comes to mind. The characters in this movie actually do change over the course of the film, unlike a lot of other animated film characters. That aspect of the film seemed to be overlooked by critics, who seemed to focus on criticizing the music and animation.
    Anastasia , on the other hand, was very well animated but the story left me very disappointed. I don't normally get annoyed at films but this movie actually pissed me off......especially the opening sequence. There was a lot of potential and parts of the film really clicked...only to be marred by the introduction of supernatural mumbo-jumbo and a Disney- style "funny sidekick".

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
  7. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Anastasia was ok for me but I have to agree that Bartok and a few other scenes messed it up for me.

9. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I tend to agree about the story and a few of the characters in Anastasia. My comments were purely regarding the animation quality which I found particularly good.

N

10. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

HOLY SHIP!!!

I loved this movie!