Second audition of ML Scenario - it bettered the Aerius i. I wonder why!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arnel Enero, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Arnel Enero

Arnel Enero Stunt Coordinator

As some of you might already know, I'm helping set up a friend's HT, and from the two options it seems that Aerius i, being the higher-class model, is the natural choice.

However, we went to the same place yesterday for another audition (the first one was a mess, as I said in a recent post). This time, I asked them to move the Scenario to the same room where the Aerius i was, and to connect them to the same electronics, so we can make comparisons.

Wow! I still can't explain why the Scenario sounded even a bit better than the Aerius i. It wasn't day and night difference, but the bass seemed just more integrated with the panel, and a bit tighter. But there's also the possibility of system matching issues here.

Since we can get either for about the same price, now I'm puzzled which one we should get. I know the Scenario is newer than the Aerius i, but does that mean it should sound better even if it's lower-spec?

My friend's main concern now is the height of the Scenario, which makes its sound unbearable when you listen to it while standing up (which will rarely happen in an HT anyway).

So for this preference of Scenario to the Aerius i, any other specific advantages (and disadvantages) that you can think of?

2. David Olstein

I think there's another thread somewhere on using ML's in a HT set-up. The sense I got from reading that thread is that the sound quality of the ML's depends heavily on where they are placed and the size of the room. So it's possible that the Scenarios had a better "fit" with the listening room, and therefore sounded better to you than the more expensive Aerius speakers.

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

while one would imagine the aerius to out-class the scenario, in my audition, i had similar experiences. i auditioned the ml aeons and ascents. the ascents (being the "better" speaker) were noticeably outperformed by the aeons. again, this was on two different setups in two different rooms. if i had to do it all over again, i would have asked the salesperson to wheel the ascents into the aeon listening environment . room placement does seem to play an intergral role in the performance of the speakers. however, since the scenario and aerius were in the same room and played through the same gear, it could be that the "newer" scenarios have better internal parts (woofer, crossover...etc.) than the aerius which could lend to your hearing better performance from the scenarios. quite a tricky trek you've been on for your friend....best of luck with your / his decision.

kevin t

4. Arnel Enero

Now we are really confused about this, especially because home audition is not possible.

5. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Arnel:

While I can understand or appreciate the differences between the Aerius i's and the Aeons, I cannot in your test drive between the Scenarios and Aerius i's. I say this because the Aeons were introduced to replace the Aerius i's. Same "basic" design and same size. Having said that, I prefer the sound of the Aerius i's to the Aeons. Considering the size of the Aerius panel, it simply "shouldn't" sound as pleasing as the Aerius i's when compared in the same environment, using the same gear.

I have a pair of Ascents presently and I have a pair of Aerius i's (which I used as my mains and now serve as my rear surrounds). I also have a pair of Scripts which I use at the sides. I can say this; If these two speakers (Aerius & Ascents) are compared in the same room using the same equipment, there is no comparison. Frankly, that's how I feel the Scenario should fair against the Aerius i's in a similar audition. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase them over the Scenarios and you should be able to get them for a good price since the line has been discontinued.

Lastly, why is an in home audition "not possible"? I wouldn't even consider the purchase of mains without being able to listen to them "in house". If it's a store policy, shop around.

6. Arnel Enero