What's new

Seattle- what to do, see and eat? (1 Viewer)

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Coming by way of Los Angeles- I really don't know anything at all about the city other than the space needle- gotta do it!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I'm told the Experience Music Project is supposed to be interesting if you are a fan of music.

I was recently in Tacoma, WA after climbing Mt Rainier and some of my friends went to downtown Seattle to wander around the Space Needle. The EMP is right next door to it.

I didn't go and instead went hiking at Mt St. Helens, but they said it was a good experience....

Jay

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Hit Pike Place Market, the goofy shops on the lower levels are worth a gander. Check out Ye Olde Curiosty Shop on the waterfront for a hoot. There are tons of good restaurants within the downtown area. Pioneer Square is all right, if you don't mind seeing people sleeping on benches and the occasional whiff of urine!:eek: The Cinerama is a great movie theater. There's IMAX, the laser shows, and the Fountain at the Seattle Center for some good people watching on sunny days. This is a great time of year, when it's still warm in the sun, but there's that crispness in the air that tells us who live here that it's almost time to drag out the coats again.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Next to the EMP (well, actually in the same building) is the Science Fiction Museum, if you're into that genre. I actually haven't been in the museum, but went to one of its film nights that featured 12 Monkeys. The screenings take place in the EMP's JBL Theater.

http://www.sfhomeworld.org/

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Oh yeah, there's also a Todai in downtown Seattle, if you're into all-you-can eat Sushi. :)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I forgot that Sci-Fi museum was there, which isn't surprising since I've all but forgotten about EMP for a long time!:D

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I've been to Seattle a couple times. Fascinating area! I'm anxious to go back. I'd like to live there too, but, man, is it expensive.

So long as you're driving from the south, a stop by Mount St. Helens is an absolute must you won't regret.

The Space Needle is fun with a terrific view but kind of expensive. Maybe you'd like the rotating restaurant. That fountain at the Seattle Center is just a very short walk from the Space Needle.

Pike's Place Market has been mentioned. The aquarium on the waterfront is pretty nice.

Underground Seattle is a very interesting piece of local history and something you'd never expect was there.

Just traveling around Seattle and seeing the crazy places people build houses is entertainment for me. At least from a Minnesota perspective, where ice and snow make these locations impossible. And, my God, the trees! I thought my hometown area had a lot of trees but it looks barren in comparison.

Are there tours at the Boeing Plant? I didn't do this but I wished I did.

The Seattle Zoo is excellent.

I found a pawn shop literally called The Yuppie Pawn Shop. It was north of Seattle, in or near Kirkland (where my sister lives and why I was there), on the east side of 5. When I was was there they were selling a motorcycle for $33,000 - I cannot recall the manufacturer - and some Krell and Meridian audio equipment. Way overpriced, in my opinion but I suppose negotiable.

There is, of course, the Microsoft Campus. No big deal.

Plus tons more. Waaay more than the Minneapolis/St. Paul area where I'm near.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Red Hook Brewery.

Pikes Place Market

And most importantly if you can get out of the city:

Mt. Rainer and Saint Helens.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the excellent suggestions folks, thanks a bunch!

I'll be there a few days, and I'll probably avoid stuff I can do down here (there's a Todai down here for example, and movies/theatres.... what better place than LA!)

Right now here's my list from what I found interesting from reading online and that's been confirmed by your suggestions:

-Space Needle (that's an obvious one)
-EMP (love music, so if that's right next to the needle, it's a no-brainer!)
-Pikes area
-Probably just drive around downtown to see what's doing

I'll be flying in instead of driving, but I would love to check out the moutains as many of you suggested, how far about, from Seattle?

Just doing some sightseeing and getting some good grub. Hoping for some good seafood- actually wasn't all that impressed with the almighty fisherman's wharf in San Francisco(maybe I just ate at the wrong places?)

Thanks!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Since some folks mentioned mt st helen's (including me), it's a nice place, worth a day trip there. However, many of the trails close to the crater are off limits and have been since like May(?) due to all the volcanic activity. When I was on the summit of Rainier and at Camp Muir, we could see the sulfer rising from the center of the crater.

A good dayhike that is open is going to Harry's Lookout, which is open, has a good view of Spirit Lake with Mt Adams in the background.

Having said that, even though many of the trails are closed, it was still a fun easy hike that one can do in trail runners. Very fascinating just driving there and seeing all the new growth and the history.

We found wild strawberries, golden raspberries, on the way which were very yummy on the way to the lookout...

Jay

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
If your looking for a 12 egg omelet for breakfast or a late night snack here is the place.
Beths Cafe
I saw this place on a TLC or something, and they said it was one of the 10 best places to eat.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
You sound like you want to go to the Space Needle, I do not recommend it. While it may be a popular place to go in Seattle, it is not worth the hype. I was extremely dissapointed when I went there.

Take the 11 dollars that it costs to get into the Needle, and use that for gas and admission to either Rainer or Saint Helens.

Just a thought.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'd agree that the space needle is a bit of a waste. For the 11 bucks, it's really not very impressive. The EMP is definitely a fun place to spend an afternoon though (at least it was when I went back in 2001).

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
If you do go to the Space Needle, go at night. I don't recommend the restaurant though - I think I spent about $70 for a so-so meal.

If you just want to relax for a bit you can hop a ferry ride cheap (sans car) and just go cruising around Puget Sound. There are nice views of the skyline to be had from the water.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Some suggestions that I don't think anyone has hit on yet:

Drive across the floating bridges for a scenic view of Lake Washington.

Check out the Chittenden Locks in Ballard.

Walk through the Arboretum and Japanese Garden (just SE of the UW campus).

If scheduling permits, take in a Mariner's game (even if just for the ballpark).

There's plenty of seafood and asian eateries. A couple of my favorites are "hole-in-the-wall" teriyaki and thai places on University Ave. in the U District (runs along the West border of UW campus).

If you like German beer, try to find Prost! I think it's in the Greenlake area.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member

Criminy - where do you come from? From my perspective, it's huge. But I suppose from a Los Angeles, New York or Chicago viewpoint, it is small.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks