What's new

Seattle / Tacoma Meet Lets start it (1 Viewer)

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Well 2nd interview tomorow 2pm looks like I'll start the 17th so I'll start moving up beginning of April:).

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
well 2nd one down I find out this week for sure:) everything went well so I'm sure I'm gonna get it.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
yay! I'll actually kind of know someone up there! hehe moving 55 miles from "home" is gonna be a little strange:)

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
On the map of where your apartments are, my house is just a little south of the 'd' in the 'and/or' at the bottom left of the map.

I'll just stand here in line till the next get toether... My HT is at the stud phase still, but will pick up steam soon....:)

Tommy_C

Stunt Coordinator
Have not seen much action since my last open HT but hoping someone else will step up soon so we can do another.

TC

Tom and Gang,

I must Apologize for the lack of a Home Theater party today. Some unexpected family stuff came up and the party just went out the window.

I would very much like to host a meet, but that will have to wait until I get some additional time. Anybody want to sell a couple of weeks?. Until I am able to find the time, are there any volunteers?

Roger Young

I have a request... I'm trying to decide between pursuing a used CRT or InFocus 7300 DLP. My problem is that I've not been able to find a CRT set up at a retail store in the Seattle area eg. Magnolia HIFI etc... that I can actually see what the experts all say is a superior picture. Is there anyone in the area that would be willing to show me theres? or refer me to a another place? Thanks, Rob.

Rob,

Although CRT does give a glorious picture, the hassles with it are very large; size, price, calibrations, low light output, etc. that most retailers have opted to sell the Digital projector systems instead. I think if you could see actual sales figures you would see that Digital Projectors have become very dominant.

Digital has such advantages; higher light output, price, size, lack of calibration, portability, etc. Last summer when it was hot we took our projector out on the deck and had a drive-in movie night, try that with a CRT.

I got my first Digital projector over nine years ago, at the time I couldn't afford a CRT, now I don't think I would even get one if price were no object. The latest crop of Digital Projectors are SO good that the gap is rapidly closing. If Magnolia HiFi thought there was a big difference in quality they would still sell and display CRTs, after all they do some pretty outrageous home theaters.

Have you checked with Definitive Audio? I think they have gone to Digital also, but they may have a CRT on display in Bellevue. Also in Bellevue there is a store that is only open by appointment I think it is called "the music room" you may be able to find it in the yellow pages.

Remember also, that some of the posts telling us how great the CRT picture is, are posted by owners of those CRTs. They like everyone else (Myself included) have the tendency to try to steer others into what we like and have purchased. You would not like it if you spent thousands of dollars on a purchase and then a couple of years later noticed that most people are able to get almost the same picture for a lot less money using a technology that you feel is very inferior. You might spend lots of time telling others that what you have is really much better and the new cheaper competitor is really not even close.

Back to the beginning, CRT provides a glorious picture. If CRT is still the undisputed king of the hill, why do all the high-end shops just sell and display Digital? They may offer a CRT but if they don't display it they don't have much dedication to the technology.

Also remember that CRTs used to be available from about $3000.00 up to $150,000.00. A used CRT from the bottom of the value range is not the same as looking at a demo of the $150,000.00 unit.

Good luck in finding what you want. Any Digital or CRT projector will make such a huge difference in your home theater that you will not regret it.

Roger

Roger, your logical answer hit me like the slap of a cheap after-shave in the AM! I originally did like the InFocus 7200 because of the built-in chip by Faraudja and contrast gain because of the 12degrees, but after cruising the forums here and looking for, and finding problems I must have gotten out of my chair and began the trip to Abelene! The thought of an outdoor showing is right up my ally and after all, I'm trying to emulate great theaters like Tommy_C 's Bijou! not compete with the Gates's theater. Again, thanks for the reallity check.... reminds me of the time a couple of years ago, we bought a cabin. It came with a reel-to-reel and an assortment of tapes. I got all excited and longed for the things I couldn't have in the 70's. So I sunk a bunch of time and $ into fixing this player up. When I finally threaded my first tape in and sat back to listen to what I had always remembered as pure listening exstacy.... OUCH, I had forgotten about the hisssss and tape stretch problems etc...! You're right, technology has made things better, go forward not back.

I can hardly wait till I can hold a meet. Rob

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
sorry I haven't been around lately guys, wife had the puter with her in Tacoma while I was living up here in Everett, well things are going well for us were about half moved. Well I've got the puter back in my possession so I should be on a little more often though living with Dial Up really stinks. The new job is going well and aside from having my car broken into and my car stereo stolen I am liking it much more here in Everett. I might try and have a small get together here soon I've got a little more room in the new place so we'll see.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Rob, I think I remember Definitive Audio, at their bellevue store had a large CRT projector. I'm over in seattle right by their seattle store, all digital in there, but I went over to Bellevue once, and they had, I think it was a big runco FP CRT, perhaps two of them, I can't quite remember. You could drop em an email/call to make sure. I think all the other local stores around here have LCD/DLP, that I've seen anyway.

Chris, coincidently I had just gone into the Bellevue Definitive a couple of days ago. They do have a LARGE Runco in a 300K setup. The picture was, in fact, beautiful! I was also able to see more DLP's. The ones I've only read about. The salesman was very knowledgeable and didn't steer me one way or another... The picture I liked the best (of course) was the 1500 lumen Runco 1K. Interestingly enough, the white shadow on the right side of the picture with the 7200 (which the MagHF. salesman said he never saw before) was not present with the Magnavox or Runco machines. Sooooo there is a difference in PQ. Thanks for the heads-up and My project is going forward everyday, Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks