Seattle/Tacoma local channels are not broadcast in HD when using HD DIRECTV receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael D. Bunting, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Just need to clarify this before I buy a HD Directv receiver for my new Toshiba 57HX81 that is coming in the next week.
    If I get my local channels from DIRECTV (they are available in this area) they wouldn't be in HD?
    I currently have a Sony SAT-T60 Directv receiver w/ TiVo - and would probably prefer to keep that active if I can't get the local channels here in Seattle/Tacoma in HD - even w/ a new HD DIRECTV receiver.
    My guess is I need to get the signal via OTA antenna?
    That may be a problem considering I live in an apartment complex - I am on the top floor however.
    Thanks
    ------------------
    I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
    My Home Theater
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

2. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

You are correct. Currently, the only way you can get the Network HD programming is via an OTA antenna. With the exception of CBS-HD on Dish if you qualify. However, depending on how close you are to the towers a TV top bowtie might work for you. You might also be able to fit one in like the Channelmaster Stealth. Good Luck!

3. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Thanks for your quick reply Brian. Not sure what I will do now - glad you cleared it up for me though.
    ------------------
    I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
    My Home Theater
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

4. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

I wasn't able to get any reliable signals with rabbit ears or a Silver Sensor indoors. I live in Kent, 15 miles from the transmitters. I had to put an antenna up above the garage to start locking in the signals. Of course, YMMV.

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

NBC is looking into doing the opening and closing cerimonies in HD but that would be it from NBC...
    ------------------