Seattle residents: Thinking of going doen to the Seattle Cinerama - Worth a visit?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael D. Bunting, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Seattle Cinerama
    The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring is playing there at 4:00 & 8:00 PM today - thinking of heading down there for one of these showings.
    Is it worth it? Is there ample parking nearby? I've only been in Washington for a couple months - I haven't had time to check out any movie theaters at all - as of yet.
    Any information is much appreciated!
    Merry Christmas!
    Mike
    * I just checked and the 4:00 PM show is SOLD OUT [​IMG]
    * Not sure if I really want to go to the 8:00 PM Show - as I have to work fairly early in the morning [​IMG]

2. Aaron Schmitt

Aaron Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

It's worth going, that's for sure. The Cinerama is the best theater in the state. Parking isn't the greatest around there, but with it being the holidays, it should be cheap(er). Go, enjoy, don't worry about getting up early tomorrow, you only live once [​IMG]
    Aaron

3. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

O it's worth it. I saw Episode 1 there and The Exorcist and it is truly a great experience. I have never driven down there myself but when I went to see Ep. 1 we got there at 6 A.M. and there was plenty of parking. Other then that I just take the bus. It's so much easier anyway. Go see it, enjoy.

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Named a top 10 theater in the country and I think few would disagree. I saw AI there while visiting and it's AWESOME. Great sound, screen and atmosphere.
    If you can't find parking, find someway of getting there. [​IMG]
    Not living there I can't say for sure. We parked in the lot right there, but I can't imagine getting that lucky for the FOTR crowd.

5. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

I actually haven't been to the renovated Cinerama, but even seeing "Contact" in 1997 (the last time I was in the city), and a 70mm blowup print of "True Lies" in 1994 at the old Cineplex Odeon Cinerama, even with its rusting curtains, drapes inplace of doors to cut the light out of the theater (you could still hear the busses right out on 4th) and so-so DTS sound system, I was still blown away. If the new Cinerama is even an inch better than what it once was, it's one of the best theaters in America.
    I've still been meaning to come back down to Seattle to check the new Cinerama....one of these days....
    Jason

6. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I just got back from the 8:00 PM LOTR show - thanks for all the words of encouargement from you all!
    The best part about it was the Sound - definitely the best I have ever heard in a theater in my 15+ years of movie-going.
    Picture was also top-notch - a few "yellow globs" started showing up in the last hour - but it really wasn't that bad.
    The seating: I thought it was terrible - as did my wife. Maybe it was because the show was packed to the gill! The seats were comfortable I guess - but they kinda reclined too far back for my liking - but I could just be picky. Not too much room in front either - I have huge feet! [​IMG]
    Had no trouble parking - parked in the lot right in front of the Cinerama.
    My wife and I also toured the Market area - and we even went up on top of the Space Needle. GREAT VIEW!! [​IMG]
    This was the first film we have seen in a theater in quite some time. I was quickly reminded on why I have my own Home Theater setup - some jackass w/ a Laser Pointer was going crazy mid-way into the film. This lasted about 10 minutes!
    And I was very suprised that nobody's cell phone went off all night!
    I guess maybe I went in expecting too much - it just wasn't as clean - wasn't as nice - as I expected it would be. I have not been into any of the other TOP 10 places on the list - I wish I could though - just to see where this onerates in my mind. The Sound and Picture were both fantastic though - so for that alone - it was worth the trek downtown.
    I still prefer watching movies at home - but this was a nice trip - and I'm sure we'll be back to visit the Cinerama again soon.
    Again - thanks for all the info guys!
    Gotta get to bed!

7. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Thanks for the feedback Michael, and sorry to hear about your disappointments with the seats and laser pointers...I desperately need to go to a GALA theater again one of these days, as all of my screenings are in older cinemas and lousy megaplexes in downtown Victoria. [​IMG]
    Jay

8. Aaron Schmitt

Aaron Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

Michael, glad you went. If I had known you had big feet, I'd have warned you about the seating. I'm 6'7" and when I saw episode 1 there, I was very much squished into my seat (full house 3 weeks after film release). I have been to less full showings (like Raiders earlier this year during the day) and the seating is fine, but in a packed house, it's a pain. They could have done without 150-200 seats to provide just a little more room in there (that's what's so nice about my new hometown theater, there's a ton of room between seats).

Aaron