Seattle Mariners In Hd On Comcast!

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Zapatka, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Patrick Zapatka

Patrick Zapatka Stunt Coordinator

Folks,

I mentioned this in passing in a different post and it caused a little stir, so I thought I would post it again here in the HD area...

Comcast will begin broadcasting Seattle Mariners games in HD next week (June 10-11) on channel 100. Of course, you must have the HD box and be in Seattle.

I may be incorrect, but it looks like ALL the home dates will be HD.

Patrick

2. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Yeah, I ordered the HD box and will be getting it tomorrow. Really looking forward to seeing the games! Hope I can get a breakout cable for my new X1 soon. What kind of outputs are on the back of that box?

3. John Welch

John Welch Stunt Coordinator

It has component out for HD. It seems that the Motorola 5100 has a ton of outputs but as usual, only a select few are active or will ever be active. So though it has DVI out it is not implemented. Though the box has 2 or 3 USB ports none of them work. Etc.

I tried to get one from the N. Seattle store this weekend after customer service told me the quickest route to upgrade was to take my old box in and swap it for the new one. Of course the person at the counter looks at me like I am crazy, and then informs me that they don't swap boxes, they don't have any to issue and I have to have it "installed", for a fee of course. I raised a stink about that and they waived the fee for the install but I can't get out to my home till Saturday the 14th.

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Too bad about the "dead" outputs! The cost of a breakout cable for my X1 is insane and I was going to make do with S-cable for awhile, but the idea of seeing the M's projected to crazy proportions has me rethinking that waiting game. Hey, Father's Day is coming up! Oh, wait, that's how I got the X1 in the first place![​IMG]

5. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Got the HD box put in and decided on the spur to go ahead and get HBO as well to enjoy their HD channel between Mariners games. I really liked THE FLIGHT OF THE INTRUDER this afternoon and am looking forward to checking out AOTC.

6. Lucas Dang

Lucas Dang Stunt Coordinator

Hi, can you guys tell me what HDTV channels commcast is offering. Im in Olympia, WA, and called them bout a week ago, the customer service person said the cable hdtv was not yet available in my area and had no info on when it would be or what channels are offered.

I just bought a Samsung t151 box for OTA signals, and bought a monster sized antenna to try and catch some of the signals broadcasting from two towers in seatle. My buddy is laughing at me because he is waiting for the comcast. I thought I had read that comcast is not offering nbc, abc, cbs, wb local hdtv broadcasts through the cable. and only HBO and Showtime, with maybe the espn or discovery channel later.

Can you confirm or advise me, thanks

Go Mariners!

7. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

So far, only HBO, Showtime, and the upcoming Mariners games, which made me pull the trigger on getting the Comcast HD, since I don't think you can get them OTA.

8. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    So, what's the verdict on the broadcasts?

They're unavailable in my area, but I'll be moving up to Seattle soon, so I should be able to get the games in HD up there.

Is it worth my time to hassle with Comcast about it?

9. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I'm dropping the HBO, but am satisfied with the M's in HD. It wasn't much of a hassle for me to get the new HD box. Since I now have the breakout cable, I have to get a length of cable to reach the X1 to see them really big before the season ends!

10. Al Shing

Al Shing Stunt Coordinator

The M's broadcasts have been outstanding, but I've heard that there have been problems in some areas such as the Shoreline area.

Fox Sports Net is just using the NHK HDTV feed, but adding some of their own graphics and their own announcers (Dave Niehaus, et al). As such, the picture frequently does not match what the announcers are saying, and they focus a lot on the Japanese players, especially Ichiro. But the Japanese camera crew is trying to make the broadcast look more like an American broadcast, so the Japanese audience can see what one looks like. This works out just fine for an American audience.