Seating Riser height??

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BobMaslen, Dec 31, 2003.

1. BobMaslen

Hi,

I am in the process of designing my theater seating and I would like to know a couple of things.

I want to have three rows of seating with the first row being on ground level. My question is how high should each level be?

I am thinking of using 2X6s, which once done would be about 6 inches higher than the previous row. Will this be enough of a rise in order to have a problem seeing over the row in front?

Can anyone else please comment if you have used 2X6s and found it not to be a problem. So I am thinking that my third row of seating would be about 12-13 inches from ground level. Will this be enough height?

The other wood I am considering is 2X8s, but they cost a lot more than 2X6s.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks
    Bob

2. ChadLB

I have 2 rows of seating and I had to go with 2 * 12's for the second row because of my ceiling height. Glad I did because it works out perfectly......If I had a higher ceiling my screen could be up more and then I could have gone smaller.....
    You could always test it out by putting some type of blocks under each couch/chair...

3. Dave Milne

Bob,
    You really need to do either draw it out (paper or CAD program) or mock up some people/chairs/blocks to see what the correct height for your room is. It depends a lot on the height of the bottom of the screen... as well as the type of chairs involved and the tallness (is that a word ?) of the viewers. My riser ended up being 9" total.

4. Bill Fletcher

Bob,

Mine is 11" high right now. It works well but I wouldn't go that high the next time. I think 8" or 9" would be the right height. Anything less than 8" and you'll have to have the tall people sit in the back.

Bill

5. SteveLeach

From my point of view, if you go any higher than 9", you'll need to add an extra step.

6. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry
    I just built mine last week with 2"x8"s and 3/4" plywood for a total height of a hair over eight inches. I paid $5.20 each for the 8 foot boards, and used six of them. Platform is 4'x8'.

Height might be a little low, but it depends on the seating height and placement. I experimented with a sofa, some chairs, a tape measure and a warm body or two.

7. Erik Farstad

FYI...check the building code in your area, you may need to add a another step if you go higher than a 9" rise as SteveLeach shared...mostly for safety purposes. [​IMG]

E