Seating placement

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gary TP, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Gary TP

Gary TP Stunt Coordinator

I am building a house and my HT room is looking to be
    21 X 16...

How far from the front wall is the idea place to put seating? I am also looking to put a FP screen on that front wall so I need an appropriate size for whatever seating distance is chosen... any ideas?

2. william-scooter

william-scooter Stunt Coordinator

use a 52x92 screen, front row seating should be 14-15 ft... or at least that is what i did with the same size room... let me restate ... that is what I was told to do. I haven't finished mine so I can't personally vouch....Yet ...but I will be able to by October 9. Seriously. that is my size room from scratch and that is what my THX certified guys told me.

see http://www.msnusers.com/ScootersHomeTheatre for progress through about aug. 15

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Before you even decide on where to place the seating, you have to determine what projector you will be getting and this cannot be determined until we know your budget.

The room is 21x16. Is the length (front wall to rear wall) 21ft or 16ft? Just want to clarify. Does it have windows and/or lots of light leaking into it? Some projectors will be ok with the above 106" screen but there are some that may not do too well with a screen of that size.

Let us know.

4. Gary TP

Gary TP Stunt Coordinator

It's 21' front to back....

As far as projector- it'll be whatever can do the screen size I choose....
    I have no windows in the room and it is doored in as a rectangle so I have total light control...

5. Tommy_C

Tommy_C Stunt Coordinator

mine was 22x13 and I used a 100" sceen and did 3 risers for the seating. I am about 9 feet from the front row. Take a look at the pictures if you want any other info let me know.

TC