Seating in relation to front projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jim Mcc, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Hello, I will be buying a front projector in the near future, and I am interested in the Panasonic 300. If it is mounted on ceiling about 12 feet from screen, and we sit behind projector (1-3 feet) would the proj. be a visual distraction while watching a movie, etc? My ceiling is only 6'8" in basement room. Thank you very much, please comment, I need your opinions.

2. Michael Pineo

Michael Pineo Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jim -

My theater is set up just about exactly the way that you describe yours. My projector is about 11 feet from the screen with the seating behind it. With the lights out and the movie going, I don't even notice the projector is there. It helps that I painted my ceiling black, but even before I did that, the projector was never a distraction (and I even have the rear seating raised about 8 inches as well).

Here is a picture with the lights on

Hope that helps!

MikeP

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I've found it ok on my 8' ceiling. I think it really depends on the individual though. If you create a little hushbox for it, and paint the box like the ceiling, it may help.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Jim,
    Check out my setup.....my ceiling is only 7 ft......once you turn the lights off and start the movie you forget about it.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Very nice Michael. My HT is just like yours, all black.

My PJ is ceiling mounted 9' from the screen, directly over the front row. The back row is 12' from the screen. Once the lights are out, the PJ is not very noticeable at all. It's not a distraction.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Eric Hahn

Eric Hahn Agent

Is the 300 loke the 200 where the pj has to be pretty close to the top of the screen,??

I have mine (l200u)about 9.5 feet from the screen and it sems to have to be about 6 ft high to have the screen at a good hight to watch from 10 ft.

am I doing it right??

screen looks straight, and I use no keystone.

7. Michael Pineo

Michael Pineo Stunt Coordinator

Eric -

I believe the 300 needs to have the center of its lens about 3 inches below the top of the screen when ceiling mounted.

Ron -

Thanks. I have admired your theater as well and have enjoyed reading your thoughts on the Panasonic and the X1. All black isn't much of a fashion statement, but turn the lights off and it's like sitting in a black hole [​IMG]

MikeP