Seating Distances and HDTV Help

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Michael Gdwn, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Michael Gdwn

Michael Gdwn Agent

Okay so what are the minimum seating distances for 40" screens , 45", and 50" and so on. I am incharge of finding a big screen TV for my parents new house and want to know what size to get. I am tempted to just go with 65", but will I find out that it really is not enjoyable to watch from 8 feet away? Thanks.

Michael

Also the best brands of TV would help. What should I tell them to get. I have heard that mitsubishi TVs are great.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I think this needs to be added to the Home Theater BAsics section as an FAQ ...

General rules of thumb ... from A Video Standard Laser disc and other Sources.

Conventional TV (interlaced) ...4 to 6 times image height or 5 to 7 times. (Or as close as you can get without seeing the interlaced line structure.)

Conventional TV (Progressive) ... 4 to 6 times ... but also as close as you want until you see the line structure or until you can no longer see additional detail by simply being close.

HDTV ... 1 to 3 times image height to see all the detail that HD has to offer.

Regards

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer