What's new

Season 5 of MTM Show. Is This a Gamble (2 Viewers)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

I Love Lucy went for a hell of a lot more than 60 bucks when it was first released.

Season 1 was originally put out in 4 episode, single disc releases, and the huge box set collecting them all was around a hundred bucks.

That put it right in line with the Star Trek releases, which were $119.99.

By the time ILL S2 was finally released, though, I think it was down to 40 bucks for a season in the format we had for the rest of the series.

As for MTM S1's failure, I think Fox overestimated it. I think they expected to do Simpsons or X-Files or Buffy numbers with a show that wasn't in the spotlight like those three. And we've suffered for that miscalculation ever since. They got burned their first time out with classic TV, and they've been wary ever since.

So true, but I was referreing to when they first collected the season into a unified box set. But I had my figures slightly backward: Season One (boxset) retailed for $54.95 and believe it or not, Season Two retailed for $59.95. Same for Season Three. Season Four retailed for $69.95(!!), Season Five $58.95 and not until Season Six was the price point lowered to $39.95. So it toiok a long while to get down to $40. Later the retail prices were lowered on all the earlier sets.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
as consumers, it is up to us to push the studios to release what we want. all they want is our bucks - they will do what it takes to get that, but nothing more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks