What's new

Season 4 of Magnum P.I., A-Team and Knight Rider on 04/04/06! (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter

Because this set will feature all syndication versions, with several music alterations. By removing the word "complete", they are just covering their asses.

But seriously, it's probably just another example of Universal's consistent inconsistency. (Although my sarcastic theory may not be that off base).

Al_D

Stunt Coordinator
I hope that if and when the A-team season five gets released the include as an extra the unaired footage from the Episode of Family Affair. I remember the ending being voted on by the TV audience.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Question for A-Team fans: Which season did the overall quality drop a level? I seem to remember reading somewhere at HTF that S5 wasn't up to the same standards as the previous 4 seasons. How does S3 compare with S2? And is S4 as good as S1-3? I'm nearly finished viewing S2 and I love this series. This is one series that I bought on a blind-buy having never seen any of them during their original airings.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
In my Opinion S1 & S2 were the best two years, S3/S4 although not quite as good were still great fun. As for S5 it was no longer the A-Team anymore to me, everything was changed. Gone was the great opening credits to a new lame variation on the theme, the gang is working for the government in this season etc.. it just flat out was bad.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Aryn,

Thanks for the info. I have S3 pre-ordered but I wasn't sure about getting S4. I'll get that one as well after reading your post :D I have more ep to view in S2 then I'll have to wait for S3. "Curtain Call" is the one that I have left on S2. I'll watch that one today at lunch :D

Man, what a jackpot blind-buy with this series. :emoji_thumbsup:

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Jeff: no problem at all glad to help out. It's great to see you enjoying the show so much. I will be picking S3,S4 aswell. My only problem with the releases is it just get's expensive on those days, as i also have to pick up Knight Rider and Magnum. Not to mention hill street blues comes out on Jan 31 aswell. I might have to pick that up abit later. But hey it's only money and it's well spent on these releases ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'll get S5, because there are a couple of good episodes--particularly the "origin of Faceman" episode. The other really good episode is, unfortunately, a recycled Starsky and Hutch episode. A great S&H episode, but a recycle. It'll be interesting to have both takes in my collection.

There is a high concentration of crap in 5, though, it's true. The Crystal Skull . . . jeez. Legendary story that rings true to my ears: some island natives are chanting, "Hoorotis! Hoorotis!" and they soon change it to, "Who wrote this? Who wrote this?" I think some of the extras have attested to this, and you can hear it.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Aryn,

Thanks again for the info on A-Team. I'll have to watch that last S2 show tonight after the NHL games are done (yeah, another sports addict).

It's also sort of an expensive Jan-Mar for me too. Hill St Blues is another one that's pre-ordererd. I'm still on the fence on the Knight Rider series. It would be a blind-buy for this series; I didn't see any of the series in the 80's. I almost clicked the "buy" button a few times for K.R. S1 but didn't pull the trigger yet on this one.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Did you watch the bonus episode on the A-Team disc? I thought it was decent, though I still haven't purchased any of the discs. Never watched Knight Rider other than that.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Anyone know what year Magnum switched over to video editing rather than film editing? The quality on the first 2 are great, so I suspect when it hits that year, the quality will go down (as I can't imagine they'd go back to the original camera negatives for that, or maybe they would?)

Pavan_P

Second Unit
Extras for all of the S4 sets:

A-Team S4:
The Great 80’s TV Flashback
Bonus Episode: A-Team Season 5 "Point of No Return"

Knight Rider S4:
-- The Great 80’s TV Flashback
-- KITT Blueprints

Magnum, P.I. S4:
-- The Great 80’s TV Flashback
-- Bonus Episode-- Magnum P.I. Season 5: "Mac’s Back"

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Pretty sweet. There's a set of coupons in the season three sets for five dollars off of each of the season four sets. Unfortunately, they say they can't be used in conjunction with any other coupons, so I guess I'll have to buy Magnum and then come back through the door and buy the A-Team. Maybe they'll be cool and just ring it up twice?

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
I think Magnum was cut on film all the way to the end. I hope so, that late 80s video look was fugly.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I agree, just look at MacGyver for a poor example of the cut on video thing. Either that or they're using poor masters, I dont know

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I just discovered that the Magnum PI Season 3 set I just bought pauses on the first disk. God, I really hate Universal.

Jim-M

Second Unit
grundle at DVDTalk says there is a layer change on the Ki's Don't Lie and Flashback episodes. Is it possible that's what you're seeing?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
No, this happened during the opening salvo of credits on the 2-Parter, "Did you ever see the sunrise?" and "The Eigth Part of the Village" and my DVD Player is brand new and recently bought. It's a definate defect because I got the same problem on the Farscape Starburst Disks, it's the type of DVD's they are using.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Wow, that is one off base review.

"Did you ever see the sunrise?" is classic, classic television.

I'll be avoiding reviews on DVDFile from now on :)

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
Aryn and Dale, I completely agree with you. This reviewer is so completely wrong, I can't even think of an appropriate retort.

The worst part of the entire review is at the end where he says the series is getting "thin" (stale) in the third season. Hey buddy, I hate to tell you the series is only getting better in the third season. I can't wait for season 7, which in my humble opinion, is the best of all, with the Dana Delany episodes, the episode where Higgins cuts off the head of Magnum's chicken and Magnum blows up Higgins' bridge, the Frank Sinatra episode, and the finale where Magnum hovers at death. Mr. Reviewer - I know you have no taste. If you think so little of Magnum P.I., I know that your tastes must tend to be garbage (I won't name any show, because even the worst shows of all time have probably at least one fan on these boards).

Bah, humbug.

JeffO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks