Sears Warranty

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Alvarez, Nov 10, 2004.

1. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

Do you think a warranty should start when you buy the item or when you actually take delivery?
    Here's the deal. We built a house. During that time we went to Sears and bought 5k worth of appliances in October of 2003. We had them delivered the first week of December 2003 when we closed. We are having a problem with the transmission on the washer. They say they won't cover the trip because it's after a year but wil cover parts on the extended warranty.
    Any thoughts? Help?

2. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

When you buy is the time the warranty starts. We had a similiar issue, we bought appliances about 3 months before they were delivered to our new house last year. We knew this going into the deal but the sale prices were good at the time we bought so it was worth it. We havent had any problems with any of the 6 appliances we bought though. Call your appliance sales person and see if they will help you out?? Cant hurt to ask. Our guy still remembers us when we walk through sears we spent a TON of money with him.

Out of curiousity which washer are you having problems with?

3. John Alvarez

Unfortunatly we bought from the store in Miami when we were down there for the weekend....[​IMG]

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I worked in the appliance department at sears for a few years for a college job so I have dealt with this before. Yes the waranty starts when you buy...this is the case pretty much everywhere. However you may have a few options. You said you had an extended waranty?? Does this mean you BOUGHT a Maintenence Agreement?? If so than you are certainly covered and talk to the store manager or the division manager. If you did not and what you mean by extended waranty is that the Parts and Labor portion of the waranty is over and just the Parts portion is in place than you of course are not covered. In the state of Maine we have something called an Implied Waranty thing that the state came up with. Pretty much it states that any item or appliance that is built to last when purchased brand new for quite a few years (car, washer, dryer, fridge) is covered for 4 years. The company HAS TO honor that. I had an issue with my washer that at the time I had for almost three years. I downloaded the implied waranty and brought it in to Sears. The manager looked at me and said "get that thing out of my face and follow me" (she was a friend). They covered EVERYTHING...not because she was a friend but because they had to. So an option may be to check with the state to see if they adopted something like that. Hardly anybody in Maine knows that this thing even exhists!!
    Another option would be to talk to the store manager and tell him/her your issue. Satisfaction is guaranteed within reason so he may work with you on the price. If all else fails....get the parts and call around to repairmen around you. Their prices WILL be better than Sears rates. Sears sometimes inflates some of their labor rates to compensate for money lost on their extended waranties......they never told me this but after working there it almost becomes common sence. Good luck,

5. John Alvarez

Just an update.
    After bitching enough they finally decided the fair thing to do was go from the delivery date and not how long it sat in their wharehouse. So after having the transmission replaced I signed the paper saying it was complete. I was shocked to see the part cost more than what I paid for the machine and with house call and labor it was almost what I paid for the washer and dryer.
    Now another gripe....This is the second time I have had Sears come and fix things. Why the hell do you have to wait a week for them to deliver parts to your house? Have they never heard of OVERNIGHT? When my fridge was broken I had to buy ice for 1-1/2 weeks waiting for parts.

6. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I know this answer will sound simple but....Sears is big. They have a ton of buying power but they also will cut corners in certain parts of the business. That is one of the areas they cut to save them some cash.

I agree that the repair bills are HUGE!! That is why with things that normaly need maintenence because of wear and tear that I can't fix myself I get the Mintenence agreement.....The only thing I have one on is my tradmill because they are very tough to try to fix. Mine paid for itself already.....

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Most businesses also running on minimum margins therefore if they can save money at any point they will. Don't forget when people buys things on sale that business expects the item to be a "draw" (or loss leader) for other purchases. I think you're lucky the part wasn't ocean shipped in bulk and the inventory didn't have to be built up (I had to wait 6 weeks for a car part once for this very reason). The reason why most businesses won't give a shipping option is that many customers will whine thinking they deserve the express shipping without paying for it.