Sears Salesmen on Negative Commision?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Pream, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Ryan Pream

Ryan Pream Stunt Coordinator

I went into my local Sears today to see if I could get a look at the Panny 47WX49. They didn't have it on display so I asked the salesperson:
    Ryan: "Are you going to be getting any of the Panasonic 47WX49 sets in"
    Salesperon: "What's that?"
    Ryan: "It's a new 47" Widescreen HDTV."
    Salesperson: "No. We don't cary sets that big."
    Ryan looks around seeing many bigger sets.
    Ryan: "Well I've been reading on the internet that Sears carries it, can you look it up in the computer"
    Salesperson: "I can look it up, but we aren't going to have it. You probably need to go somewhere else."
    Ryan: "So some Sears stores carry sets that other stores can't even get in?"
    Salesperon: "Exactly."
    Ryan: "Well can you just look it up to make sure?"
    Salesperson gives me a bad look and pulls out this book. After about 10 seconds he finds a whole page about the 47WX49.
    Salesperson: "Is that the set?"
    Ryan: "Yep. Does your wharehouse have it in stock?"
    Salesperson looks it up in the computer
    Salesperon: "Yes, it has have several in stock. $2000"
    Ryan: "So I can order it here?"
    Salesguy gives me a look like I'm stupid and says yes.
    ARRRRGH! These people should not be allowed to breed! Afterwards I went to Circuit City. They still didn't know what it was but they found out they had two in the store. They had no plans to put them on display though. They did have what I think was the Panasonic CT-34WX50 running HDTV. The picture was AWESOME! I've never seen HDTV running on a small 16x9 tube. The clarity was unbelievable.
    Too small of a set for $3500 though.
    Ryan
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Ryan Pream on July 11, 2001 at 07:21 PM]
    [Edited last by Ryan Pream on July 12, 2001 at 09:32 PM]

2. Ryan Pream

As a followup,
    I've heard that Sears will match internet pricing? Is this easy to pull off? I sure wasn't going to bother that salesguy by asking.
    Ryan
    ------------------

3. JakeR

JakeR Stunt Coordinator

Sorry you had a bad experience, Ryan. Most every Sears or Circuit City store is only going to have 1 or 2 really knowledgeable employees, with the rest of the staff consisting of part-timers who simply have an eye on sales. Looks like you ran into one of "them."
    Sears will indeed price match Internet retailers. You would need to provide a printout of the web site where the model number and price appear, along with shipping. If for some reason they refuse to do it (which shouldn't happen), simply place your order at sears.com. The store may get the order from the site to fill, but the price will already have been decided.
    As for the sales folks: best time to do serious business in a store like that is between 12-5. Any part-timer or know-nothing will probably be working their main job or taking classes at that time, whereas a full-timer will be just getting in to work the second shift into the evening. You also need to be looking for guys who are dusting or straightening during the down times, as that shows the kind of work ethic that would prompt them to stay up on current elecronics trends.
    I'm actually shocked both stores knew nothing of the 47WX49. I would anticipate that being one of the TVs that will drive the HD business in the coming year. Good luck.
    [Edited last by JakeR on July 11, 2001 at 06:38 PM]

4. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, at one of the Sears I ran into a guy like that. He wouldn't even match the price of a major retail chain in town (Ultimate Electronics) after I tried to have him price match a low Internet price. I drove further to another Sears and bought my set there. My salesman at the second Sears was eager to please, though not particularly knowledgeable. He helped me move RPTV's out and plug in component and VGA cables and that sort of thing. They still wouldn't Internet price match there, but they had a double discount sale going so that it didn't make much difference.
    You can always go throughhttp://www.sears.comClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

5. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Ryan:
    Here's a quote fromwww.Sears.com:
    >>Find a lower price? We'll match it!
    If you find a lower price on an identical branded item currently available for sale at another local retail store, Sears will match that price. Just tell your sales associate at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase. If you find a lower price (including shipping, handling and delivery) on an identical branded item currently available for sale and delivery in your area from an established online retailer, Sears will match that total price at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase.
    Just print the ordering page, including shipping, handling and delivery, and bring it to your Sears store at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase. If you are purchasing online, email the information to [email protected]

6. Ryan Pream

I saw that tonight. One thing I did notice is that they listed "Established Online Retailers" at the bottom. I'm assuming those were just examples and not the complete list. I emailed [email protected] with a GIF of the Panasonic authorized e-tailors list and a GIF of my order form from ibmega. I asked if I could get the price correction before placing my online order.
    Considering Sears is listed just below IBMega on Panasonics site, I don't see how they can refuse it. Since I couldn't find any disadvantage of ordering at Sears Online I will try and place my order there.
    Ryan
    ------------------

7. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

I went to my local Sears on Monday to see what they had because I'm ready to pull the trigger on replacing my 27" with a 36" WEGA. I talked to a salesperson who was very nice and helpful but didn't know anything about electronics. She said they will no longer internet price match "because they were losing too much money." I told her that is not what is stated on their website. There are at least 4 other Sears stores in town so my guess is the right salesperson or right Manager will do it for you. However, I contacted sears.com and received a favorable response to all my questions. If I decide to go that route, it looks like I will be able to pricematch the 36HS20 to around $1,900, get 10% off for opening a Sears Credit Card and receive 12 months no interest. I could also pick it up or have them deliver it locally. That is the best deal I could find and would be about $500 bucks less than what I could find locally for the 36XBR450. That particular Sears did not have a 47" Panny set up but the Circuit City across the street did for $2,199. I would definitely try the sears.com route first to see what kind of deal they can give you. Good Luck!

8. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

My wife called our Sears store several times trying to see if they could get the 65H80. The guy she got was nice, but always promised to call back and never did. I finally drove out there just to look around. They were wrapping up some 10% off sale and the place looked like it had been hit by a tornado; had a total of 3 RPTVs in the whole store. He took down the numbers of the sets I was interested in and promised to call me back on Monday. Haven't heard a peep from him. Hope he calls now so I can tell I have one coming from 2000 miles away.
    Sadly, I very rarely encounter quality service anywhere anymore. I had a come-apart the other night at a theater concession stand with a girl acting like I was really ruining her life by her having to wait on me. I lodged my complaint with her, and asked if she had anything she'd like to say for herself. Her response: "So? I was rude." She shrugged her shoulders as if to say, "what are you gonna do about it?" I asked to see a manager and discovered that the guy standing 12" from the whole scene as it unfolded was the manager. I told him he was a pitiful one. He wound up giving me five free movie passes, but that doesn't begin to address their problem when a snot-nose working the popcorn counter is openly allowed to outright insult a paying customer. And their situation is anything but isolated. Heck, when I worked at McDonald's as a teenager I would've been fired for so much as rolling my eyes at a customer. And I should have been.
    Even worse when COMMISSIONED salespeople act like you're bothering them. Unbelievable.
    ------------------

9. JakeR

JakeR Stunt Coordinator

Jerry,
    I know how you feel. Believe me, I'm NOT defending what happened to you at the concession counter, but I would like to relate the following story. It might shed a little light on the perceived "attitude" of some salespeople...
    (This happened just today, as a matter of fact.)
    I was working in Insert Major Retail Chain Here this afternoon when a customer walked in to the television aisle and began to look at the 32" TVs. I asked him if he needed any assistance.
    "This TV is cheaper..." he said. Didn't finish the sentence, though it seemed like he was going to. He was looking at a 32" HD-ready set.
    I waited to see if he was going to say anything else. Then another customer approached me with a question on TV mounts. I went around the corner to assist him for a few moments. When I came back, the same gentleman from before was still looking at the sets.
    "Sir, did you say you needed help?" I figured this might prompt him to say something.
    He was looking at the TVs and asked me a few questions on how to get picture-in-picture working. Then he went back to the HD set and said, "This TV is $1399 over at Store X." Ours was tagged at $1599. We're usually competitive with pricing, but hey, it happens. Both ways. I told him we would happily price match the offer, and that we'd just call up the store to confirm the price. Not a problem.
    Then he asked me if we offer free TV stands. I said no, not right at the moment. (Occasionally the offer comes up, but was not in the immediate future...and don't haggle that kind of thing.)
    Then he went back to the Samsung and repeated the same thing: "This TV is cheaper at Store X." I said, again, it's no problem to match the price, figuring he might not have heard me the first time. By now, I was getting annoyed, but did not let it enter my tone of voice.
    "Well, it was cheaper over there first," he said, and started to walk away.
    While I had any number of choice names for this guy, all I allowed myself was a "Whatever, buddy," and walked away.
    Then he doubled back with, "I ain't your buddy, PAL! You smartass! Anytime you wanna go!" Then left.
    I haven't even been into work 20 minutes and I'm threatened by a 58 year old man because I didn't kiss his ass as he went out the door.
    As the Lord (and a computer salesman) is my witness, this is exactly how the situation occured. Funny, though, how the guy had a selective memory when he later spoke with the department manager. According to her, he said, "Then the guy said he'd have to call the store, and called me Bub, like a wiseass! I was ready to buy the TV there!" Sure, guy. They keep the TVs right by the exit. That's where you must have been headed.
    Now, for the severe mental trauma of being referred to as "Bud," he'd like a free TV stand, a $50 gift card, the price match, and free delivery.
    When my retail days are over, I'm not really going to miss them one damn bit. And if ever a salesperson seems irritable to you, chances are overwhelming he's just finished up with someone exactly like that...or YOU'RE the someone exactly like that. I have every belief this guy is sleeping soundly tonight.

10. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I have always said that everyone should be required to work as a wait person and salesperson at sometime in their life, so they would understand some of the incredible things they have to put up with.
    Of course, there is no excuse for the salesperson in Ryan's example--that's just wrong.
    DJ

11. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

If you want to avoid the hassles of price matching and go thru a retailer you like get the AMEX blue card. They will match up to $250 per purchase/$1000 annual. I got my Sony 24fv12 at Crutchfield for $499 delivered. Printed out a page from someplace called lets go digital with a price of $431 and AMEX credited the difference. Whats better is AMEX does not figure in shipping. With shipping the other place would have been more.
    Here is the info on this from AMEX blue web site:
    "Best Value Guarantee
    Getting the best value on your purchases is easy. Best Value Guarantee ensures that you pay the lowest price available on covered items purchased entirely with an eligible American Express Card. If, within 60 days, you find an identical item to the one you just purchased with the Card advertised in print at a lower price than you originally paid, American Express will reimburse the difference in price to you, up to $250 per item.
    Simply call 1-800-557-8317 for additional questions or to initiate your request for a refund. You will then be asked to send us the printed dated advertisement, your American Express record of charge, and the store receipt within 90 days of your purchase. We will gladly honor your request for a refund on a savings of $10 or more. Refunds are limited to up to $250 per item and up to $1,000 annually per Card Account."

12. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Try working with people that are sick (health wise). Now that is a real leason in being able to bite your tongue 100 times a day.
    Parker