Sears Price-Matching Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamG, Sep 11, 2001.

1. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

While reading reviews on a Sony DVD player and possibly a receiver on another site, someone mentioned that Sears may discontinue their internet price-matching policy.
    I am probably 2 weeks away from buying, and I was planning on going to Sears and seeing if they'd do this for me.
    Has anyone recently purchased from them on a price-matching item, and if so, were you given any indication of a 'cease-and-desist' type of thing?
    Also, how do the salespeople react to this policy? I'd think that they wouldn't be too pleased because it cuts into their commission.
    Thanks so much!

2. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

I have not heard that they will be discontinuing their price matching policy. The sales associate that I approached with this was pleased to give me the discount. He is a part-timer that was happy to simply make a sale. You may want to seek that type of person out because I have been given the cold sholder by full time sales associates when asking about discounts and price matching.
    What are you considering?

3. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I heard the same rumor but have yet to check myself to see if it's true.
    When I bought my Yamaha from Sears in December of last year I had a quote that was $160 off of their price of $500. They choked and tried to deny the price match. They only honored it after I produced a print out of Sears own price matching policy from the Sears website.
    I think that it depends on what salesperson you talk to and how much the discount is.
    I hope that they continue to match the online prices. The value of the matching policy drops significantly, from a consumer point of view, if they only match brick and mortars.
    ------------------
    You want to upgrade again?!!

4. WilliamG

Kendal,
    Thanks! I'm considering the Sony DVP-NS400D DVD player, and maybe the 875 receiver. I know that I can get the player for $169. online, but I'd really like to buy from a B&M so that I can return it if defective.
    Jim,
    In our Sears in Little Rock there is a big overhead sign in the electronics dept. that advertises to the effect of "if you find a lower price, just bring it to us and we'll match it." !! [​IMG] However, it doesn't mention online prices.

5. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

If you get a Sears flyer in your Sunday paper, check the fine print on the back page for their price match policy. Mine states their internet price matching very clearly; ie, will match the online e-tailers price including shipping.

6. Micah Lloyd

Micah Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I saw a sign by a cashier's station that was clearly only meant for the cashier that stated that if the customer brought in documentation of a web site that had the price within 10%, to go ahead and match. It was over 10%, it went on to instruct how the sales person was to explain to the customer that due to the highly fluxuating online market, they would be unable to match the price. I'm paraphrasing the sheet, I only got a quick read, but the general message is correct. I saw this sign during Labor Day weekend. I don't recall if it had an effective date on it.

7. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

I was in Sears late last week looking at the 50H81 and the salesman's buisness card he gave me even says they will match any internet retailer's price.

8. WilliamG

Jeff,
    Thanks for the information- I'll check it out on Sunday.

9. WilliamG

***OOPS, SORRY TO DOUBLE POST!!***
    [Edited last by WilliamG on September 11, 2001 at 09:49 PM]

10. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

My local sears price matched a Panasonic DVD-RV31 just a week and a half ago. Matched the price only, no shipping on top of that. I printed the screen showing the price and the model number (they checked that specifically) and showed it to them & they sold it to me at that price. $161 instead of their sale price of $189.
    Andrej
    ------------------

11. WilliamG

Andrej-
    Sounds like a deal to me! NO shipping,huh? Someone must've fallen asleep at the wheel [​IMG] ,but that's great - I'm proud for you. [​IMG]

12. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Agent

William,
    Where have you seen the DVP-NS400D for $169? Thhe best I can find is around $206.
    Thanks!

13. WilliamG

Scott,
    Check out www.pricegrabber.com and do a search. It shows Xtremeshopper.com with the -400D for $168.99 (plus shipping). I believe the next lowest is IBuyDigital.com with the same player for $174.(plus shipping).
    Again, I'd do the Sears price-match thing if I could. Plan B is that I'd actually buy from IBuyDigital ... looks like they have the best customer rating w/the next best price.

14. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

I used pricegrabber.com to find the same xtremeshopper.com price on the Panasonic RV31 that Sears price matched for me.
    Andrej
    ------------------

15. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

As of Yesterday Sears was willing to price match a Toshiba 61H71 cost+shipping. The people at my local Sears are idiots though.

16. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

From the Sears website. Found under Customer Service/Pricing Policy: