What's new

sears maintenance agreement.....looks like a good deal! (1 Viewer)

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
I've been wanting the Toshiba 42h81, but sears only carries the 50' model. But, with my store doing the internet price matching, I can get the 50' for the same price as the 40'.

But here's the kicker! By purchasing there extended warranty/maintence contract, which starts at $299 for three years, you can have one scheduled maintence visit each year for the length of the contract. During this visit, the technician will clean the lenses and check gray scale and convergence, among other things.

It seems like a really good deal. I've never bought an extended service agreement before. It always seemed like a gamble, but this looks worth the money just to have the tech come out. Anyone had any experience with Sears on this?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Service contracts would be great if the TV fails (ie: the convergence board dies). Totally useless for other services as you have mentioned. Guaranteed the service tech doesnt have a clue when it comes to grey scale (nor the equipement).

My 2 cents

Gregg Loewen

Video Calibrator

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

I brought a Big screen from Sear's in 1998 w/the service agreement. Lens cleaning and CRT alighment is nice but, if you didn't have a bulit in screen protector(which you do) that's where the sevice agreement is important. Two weeks after I got mine delivered, one of my wife little kid hit the screen with a toy and crack a 4" split in the middle of the screen. I called the sevice agreement center and they sent a tech out but, the catch was there's certain thing s covered but a screen wouldn't be one them. Luckly I had it less than 30 days and got the whole TV replaced.

To answer you question service plans would be good if your TV's lens were to go bad in less than two tears. Which why would that happen if you just got the TV and only had it less than two years. Even with my service plan I never have a tech come out and do any to the TV because, nothing ever happened to it after that one incidense. I hope that helps a little.

Brian_J

Second Unit
You dont want these dolts touching your television unless there is something broken. If someone is telling you they will calibrate your television they are filling you with you know what. There are numerous posts on this site from people who had tech guys come and royally screw up their sets. If you want to get a service plan you should view it as an insurance policy and nothing more. And a very expensive one at that since you will be insuring a greatly reduced value item in 3 years. If its going to break it will likely happen in the first 30 days.

Brian

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Since Brian lives in the Atlanta area I imagine he can back me up on this. A local "consumer advocate" has stated for years that extended warranties are a complete waste of money. The only exception he makes is in the case of buying a used car. And even then he says to negotiate the price.
But he's also a total cheap skate!:)
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread