Sears Craftsman Autoswitcher -- can't get it to work!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ricky T, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

I picked up the $20 sears autoswitcher, basically an external switched outlet where the top component powers on and sends power to the other two outlets.

So far the only thing that works in the top outlet are: my adcom 5300 amp and my halogen lamp.

The following do not power up the two switched outlets:

- Hughes Direct TV receiver

- Toshiba VCR

- Adcom gtp600 and gtp350 preamps

- Onkyo cd changer

My Lexicon MC1 sometimes works for a couple of seconds; then I hear a series of small clicks, and the lower two components lose power (aka, are turned off).

What components are you guys plugging into the top outlet in this autoswitcher?

2. Pat

Pat Agent

Ricky, I have my auto-sensing Anthem MCA3 plugged into the top and 2 other amps into the bottom.
    As soon as the pre-amp sends a signal the MCA3 comes to life and then the other 2 come on right after.
    Works everytime [​IMG]

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I had my musical fidelity class A amp plugged into the bottom with the HK 5800 plugged into the top and it worked fine for me.

4. Steve Young

Steve Young Stunt Coordinator

Steve Young
    Ricky, I had this same thing happen, only I was using 2 amps in the bottom plugs. What is happening I believe, is that there is too much inrush current when all the components turn on, and it trips the built in overload. I couldn't even get just one of my amps to stay on, they would come on, then shut down. I took the autoswitcher back.

Steve

5. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

All,

I looked at this thing a while back to solve a problem with my Sony Sub switching off when I didn't have the receiver's volume up high enough. To me, the Sears switch looked like it was designed to work with higher current draw devices like saws, routers, vacuums, etc. Maybe the problem is that the device you're using to try to "trigger" the others isn't drawing enough current? You said that it worked when you used your "adcom 5300 amp and halogen lamp". Both draw more current than the other devices you listed, right? If that's the problem, I'm not sure how you'd proceed...

Or maybe I'm talking out of my a$$.

-Brett.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

My dad uses this thing to power on his dust collection device when he turns on his table saw. From time to time, for no apparent reason, it will trip the built in circuit breaker. After a few minutes it works fine again. We used it all day long yesterday without any such problems. Maybe they're just a bit quirky?

Brian

7. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I had the same problem when I bought the sears switchbox. I was trying to get the sub to turn on with my Rotel RSX972 receiver. As I lowered the volume the relay in the box started chattering away like mad [​IMG] . I connected a 3-way lamp to the switch and found out that it took about a 100 Watt load to pick the relay and keep it picked. I returned the box to sears and wound up using the 12V relay line from the receiver to pick the relay in a Xantech AC1 triggered outlet .http://www.xantech.com/products/p_folder/p_ac1.htm. The sucker cost me $100 but it works like a champ [​IMG] .