Sears Closing Audio- Big Sale

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Daman, May 5, 2004.

1. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Hi!
    Just wanted to let everyone know that Sears is closing their home audio section of recievers, they will no longer carry just recievers for sale, they will only have home theater packages from now on. As a result they have a massive cleanout sale going on, though they have only 3 brands of recievers- Sony,Yamaha and JVC- i managed to buy a new Yamaha HTR5650(which is priced at around 400$) for 160$ yesterday which is even less than half the actual price.. the same goes for other home theater and stereo recievers. Hope this info would help quite a few of us.
    Cheers!
    Daman

2. Matty P

Matty P Stunt Coordinator

I've been meaning to grab a decent "starter" receiver...how is that Yamaha?

3. Daman

Daman Second Unit

thats pretty amazing i would say its 80 watts X 6 per ch with the usual DTS ES and DDEX decoder, i have a 6.1 setup of polk rm6700 and it does sound very good to me, it also has those DSP's yamaha is good at which you can apply on top of your dolby and dts signal even.. has the option of zone 2 and can power 2 more speakers in your bedroom,plus it has video converter too which means you can convert Svideo to component and vice versa with it.. i think it does also convert analog to S-Video(though im not sure about this part 100%)In my opinion its a steal for this price, though i was very hard pressed to find one be cause all were sold out, in fact the one i bought was the last piece at that showroom..and i had to check out 2 stores for this.

4. Brian Co

Brian Co Extra

I've found an open box Yamaha HTR-5660 (Everything included: remote/manual etc.) and a new in box SONY STR-DE895 for roughly the same price. Any opinions as to which unit would be the better all around performer?

5. Daman

Daman Second Unit

i personally have found yamahas to be much better than the sony counterparts, i guess you can audition them both and decide yourself or take them both home if the store has a return policy and see what you like better, how much did you find the 5660 for?

6. Brian Co

Brian Co Extra

As it was an open box and the only unit left I was able to talk them into an additional 15% off (this would not apply to the Sony). There's also a $10 off $100 print out coupon for the electronics section floating around at numerous message boards. Including these discounts I can walk out with it for $140 and change including tax. I've heard good things in regard to this Yamaha, but am unfamilar with the Sony, so I'm hoping someone can give me a definitive nod either one way or the other. I'd obviously like to grab one before someone else swoops in.

7. Daman

Daman Second Unit

I think the 5660 is a real bargain if you get it at that price, the reciever itself is pretty good.. hearing you i will go today to some more Sears stores around and see if i can get a 5660 instead of 5650 which i have.. would be real cool if i can lay my hands on one.. i would say go for the yamaha instead of sony definetly. I also have a 5640 which i bought at normal price around 6 months back and it has been performing very well.

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Heck, even Best Buy's *best* recent price on this receiver was $349. At $160 or so, it's a steal.

The 5660 will give you a bit more - a few more watts and possibly on-screen display. However, the 5650 is more than adequate, performs well and sounds good, too.

9. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

Brian,
    What website can I get a $10 off $100 print out coupon?

10. Wayne Ernst

Ken,

Check your private messages. I don't want to post a link to the coupon code here - might be against the rules.

However, for those who are looking for the coupon, just head over to the following site: fatwallet.com, go to the "forums" section and the "hot deals" category. Search for "sears" and a few threads down will show you where the coupon can be found.

Enjoy!! [​IMG]

11. Daman

Daman Second Unit

i went yesterday to several stores to see if they had a 5660 still in stock but they were all out [​IMG] guess i missed it by few days.. they also had a decent setup of JBL satellites with Subwoofer which retails for around 400$ going for around 180$ .. and another home theater system where the speakers were Klipsch and reciever come dvd player was a crappy samsung.. its original price for it was arounf 890 something, was going for 600 something.. and they didnt sell the Klipsch speakers seperately which was a pity.. ill try my luck in NH today about that 5660 [​IMG]

12. Brian Co

Brian Co Extra

Daman, good luck with your search and I hope you are able to find one still available. I hooked up the 5660 last evening and have noticed a vast improvement. Much warmer and fuller sounding than what it replaced. My speakers now have a new lease on life. Would have been even better with the addition of an on-screen display or a learning remote, but all in all, I've got no complaints. I didn't see any Klipsch's either while browsing but did in fact see the JBL satellite speakers (6.1 setup) you mention for $180. Also saw a Sony 300 disc CD changer for around $89 which I may have to investigate.

13. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Thanks Brian, i too heard a noticable improvement over the earlier yamaha i had HTR5640 when i hooked up the 5650 yesterday, the crispness of voice was much more than the other reciever.. thats why im thinking that 5660 would even be better [​IMG] how much watts does it put out per channel(or at least what yamaha says)- i think 85 X 6 probably right? I too saw these Klipsch's only in this particular Sears store and not the other 2 i visited earlier. Saw that 300 disc Sony too on sale.. its dirt cheap for these prices [​IMG] good for us.
    Cheers!
    Daman

14. Geoff::L

Geoff::L Agent

My Sears was clueless as to what's going on. They couldn't even give me the price of the 5660. Do you know what the price might be of a new unit or are they only selling open box?

15. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Geoff, these are new units that we are talking about.. they are stopping keeping the recievers for sale and want to sell off all the current stock.. the price of a brand new in box 5650 is 180$ and i assume for 5660 it would be 20$ odd more.
    Tell them to run a check on their computer about the prices. All the best

16. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

After informing a friend about this deal he rushed over and picked up the 5650 for 179.00, all 5660 were gone. thanks for the tip[​IMG]

17. Brian R

Brian R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the tip Daman, I just picked up the 5660 to use in a second system.

At my local Sears the 5650 is $179.73 and the 5660 is only $168.73. They didn't have the 5660 on the salesfloor, I asked the sales clerk to see if they had any left and he found 2 in the back.

The Sears item number for the 5660 appears to be 2057 96743 and the they referred to the 5650 as the "733" so I assume it's 2057 96733.

18. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

Came back from a central CA Sears store.. they only had one Panasonic SA-XR25S left NIB on the shelf so I grabbed it..

The price tag on the shelf said $299.95 regular price, clearance price $269.95. Rang up as 134.95 at the register. Applied the $10 coupon and it came to $134.20 out the door after tax.

[​IMG]

Hopefully they are as good as people say. [​IMG]

19. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

What do you guys think would be the better choice: The Yamaha 5660 or the Panasonic XR25?

20. Wayne Ernst

Buy one of each, try them both out and see what works best for you. You could easily sell the item as an "open box" item and get the price you paid for it, if you are buying from Sears at their clearance pricing.

However, I will still offer my opinion. I've never heard the XR25 receiver, but have owned a Yamaha HTR-5650 receiver - which is quite close to the 5660. I like a larger read-out so I can see what's going on with the receiver. I like to be able to see if Dolby Digital was detected or DTS and also, I like to see the volume level when I adjust things with the remote. I do this from about 8 feet away. The newer on-screen displays will provide this also. But, the XR-series of Panasonic receivers, have very small displays. It makes it quite hard to setup and read what is going on with this receiver.

When it comes to display capabilities, I'll give the nod to Yamaha. If space is of a real concern with you, go for the Panasonic.