Sears agreement cover burn-in?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DaleI, Apr 27, 2004.

1. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

I just came from Sears and the salesperson told me that the Sears service agreement will cover screen burn-in. He told me, for example, that if you have the habbit of falling asleep with the History Channel or with a news ticker on and get burn-in Sears will cover that. I didn't and still don't believe it. Can someone confirm or deny this?

(originally I had this posted in the wrong forum)

2. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

I've heard that Sears in the states does have a very good plan, but I would find that incredibly hard to believe. They definately don't cover that here in Canada.

That would be like him telling you that if with one week left in your warranty your TV happened to fall out the window, or have a jug of water dropped in the back of it, it would be covered.

These guys make lots of money selling those plans, and some (believe me, I've seen it MANY times) will say ANYTHING to make you buy it, even if they know it is not true. (for example, one guy I know used to tell cell phone buyers that it would be covered if they dropped it in the toilet or down a storm drain) [​IMG]

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I've never heard of burn-in covered by any warranty, so if he said that; get it in writing!!!

Burn-in would usually be considered as misuse/abuse of the product. If you hit the screen with a hammer, would the warranty cover that too? doubt it...

4. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

Yeh, I'm flirting with the idea of typing up a statement and having the salesperson sign or initial it. Don't know how much weight that would have though.

Dale

5. Chuck Mullen

Chuck Mullen Stunt Coordinator

I still doubt they would pay even if you had the store manager sign it.

6. Jay Foster

Jay Foster Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if they will cover that but after a lot of arguing with the 1-800 number people, I gave up and went directly to the store. Now, they offered me to just come in the store & pick out a tv. My other post is about this.

7. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Get a copy of the agreement and read it. If it doesn't say it covers burn in, then it doesn't. If it says it doesn't cover abuse, then it doesn't cover burn in.

You should always read - and I mean study thoroughly - these warranty agreements before you pay for them. Any agreements you make with the salesman, store manager, whoever, are superceded by the text of the warranty.

8. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Yes read the warranty contract but I'll bet if you had something signed by a Sears employee saying that the only reason your agreeing to buy the set from them is because the set is covered for any "Burn In" problems Sears would make good on it. I would make sure to have the employee sign it & "Print Their Name Out" so you can understand it incase they quit or get fired so you can identify the employee if you have a problem later. If Sears farms out their warranties to a warranty company the warranty company might not cover it but with a signed Agreement/Contract from a Sears employee I'm sure Sears would stand behind it & by law I think Sears would be responsible to fix the burn in problem. The old Employeer is responsible for the acts of it's agents & etc.

9. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You should go talk to a manager of the electronics department first. What the salespeople say carries very little weight, but if you got it in writing from a manager Sears would most likely make good on it no matter what. I used to work at a Sears and I've seen Sears "make good" on a lot of things they shouldn't have, so you could probably get away with it.

Also, they'd most likely only honor this in writing if the person still worked there as a way to save face. There is such a high turnover rate for salespeople that the person likely will not be there in which case you would be told that person was just a screw-up and did not have authority to contract on behalf of the company.

10. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Well, I may be of some help since I used to work at Sears. First off, if the person said that it covers burn-in then have him put it in writing and have the manager sign it as well. If that happens than they will have to honor it. "Satisfaction Guaranteed" meens just that. They WILL honor it even if it doesn't say so in the Maintenence Agreement slip.
    Now I need to refute some rumors. Salespaople make S**T on those plans. The VERY most I could make selling those plans was about 40$. It may sound like a lot but NOBODY ever buys the most expensive plan. The most I have ever made on one was 12$ That is the norm. The other thing is that Sears DOES NOT make lots of money selling them. If you saw the numbers you would be shocked. The only time Sears makes money on an M.A. is if the person does not use it. If you take advantage of the maintenence plan and get the annual check-up on the merchandice sears will lose at least 50 60$ on every 100$ plan. It costs 50 - 60$ to have someone look at the merchandice alone.
    Where Sears makes the money is the repeat customers. It is proven that people who purchase extended waranties (in any store) are twice as apt to prurchase something from that store again. That is where the big bucks are....not selling extended waranties.
    I would finaly like to add that being a commission sales person sucks. These people work their A$$ off for very little in return. It was only my college job and I had a hell of a time doing it. I have a lot of respect for those who do it and do it well.
    Oh and by the way......I never buy those things....other than my treadmill of course and it paid for it twice over (they lost over 200$ on that deal [​IMG]). I would also buy one on a RPTV. I have scene some nightmarish things happen in my time. Anything else I think it is useless.

11. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I also worked at Sears and would like to slightly dispute what was said above. What was said about salepersons not making much is somewhat true. When I was there the salesperson made 10% of the price of the service agreement. So, as was mentioned, it probably never got higher than about $40 (not many people would spend more than $400 on a service plan). But I don't buy the idea that Sears doesn't make much off of them. When I was there the way a salesperson was evaluated was by the percentage of maintenance agreements sold. They push those things like crazy. Now, perhaps you're correct that they only make a lot on them when the people don't use them, but if that's the case I would bet Sears has some pretty good statistics showing that the majority of people who buy them never use them. I know that Sears is in the customer satisfaction business, and I honestly believe they usually do a pretty good job of it, but first and foremost they're in the money-making business and that will always come first.

The thing about repeat customers may be somewhat true, but it's also straight out of the training video we had to watch the first day of work which makes me very skeptical. And I know the annual check-ups cost about $50-$60, but the entire time I worked at Sears I know of 1 person who had an annual check-up done on anything.

12. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Sears is not a charity. If they weren't making money on the service plans, they wouldn't be selling them.

13. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I will say this again and try to make people understand this.....
    Sears does not make a lot of money AT ALL selling these plans. Do the math. If I sell a plan for 100$....10$ of it goes to me, 90$ goes to the store. If a person in the duration of the time of the plan....usually 3 years..... uses it once, either for a check-up or fixing something than Sears will either break even or wind up costing them. Sure there are A LOT that are never used but when they are the majority winds up costing them. It all balances themselves out. If you really think about it by the numbers than I think it is obvious that Sears does not make money off of them. Plus I HAVE SEEN THE ACTUAL NUMBERS!! I think if you saw the numbers you would be shocked. How could anyone disagree with that!?! Sears does make the money from repeat customers. It is PROVEN that people who purchase a service plan are more apt to buy from the same store again. And before anyone woders where I have seen the numbers.....the vice President from Chicago visited my store for a question/answer thing. One of the most popular questions was why do we really need to push these things and if we really make a lot of money from them. He pulled out each quarters number and broke it all down. He then pulled out info about those people who purchase the plan and how they continue to do business with us. The numbers were HUGE!! Of course it is impossible to tell the exact amount...but the amount that could be documented was staggering. Anyone who understands buisness knows the importance of repeat customers.

14. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

You do realize that screen burn-in takes an awful long time...you'd have to sleep for a couple days with your TV on (and all the programming for that time frame would have to have a constant image...which is somewhat improbable).

All the logos for the networks (which were once white, it was the PBS logo burn-in that started all this) are translucent to prevent burn-in. I really don't think it's anything to worry about.

Now the question is if you really need that warranty orwhether the money is better spent elsewhere...but that's for another thread (that I just finished posting to).

15. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Another thing being forgotten is that even though Sears would charge you $50-$60 for an annual check-up it does not mean this is what it actually costs them. Most of those checkups take 15-30 minutes at most and I assure you none of those technicians are getting paid $100-$110/hour. So, in reality, that $50-60 check-up is only costing Sears probably around $10-20. Therefore, if you sell a $100 MA for 3 years, you get $10, $30-60 will go for check-ups assuming they have them all done, and the rest will only be used if something actually goes wrong. Therefore Sears is making money. If you think those numbers you were shown really mean all that much I would encourage you to take any entry-level college course in statistics and accounting and you'll find that any statistician can make numbers say whatever he wants them to say. So, if there's a statistician who is being paid by Sears to make the MA numbers look the way management wants them to look he will be able to do it with no problem at all.

16. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Seth, what are we trying to accomplish here? I am simply saying that Sears does not make the outrageous amount of money that people think they do selling these things. I saw the numbers. Why would he want to lie to me and hide something? Like you said we were evaluated on how well we sold them. No-matter how they made them money. The fact of the matter is they do make Sears a ton of money. Not in the way though people think. Why would someone possibly change the numbers to make them look differently in this case? Hell, I think them pushing it on people because it means they will come back is a bit arrogant. I do not see you logic in the statistic thing.
    You also reiterate what my point was when you say a big percentage goes to the salesperson and the rest if they have checkups. The remainder goes to whatever goes wrong. As I am sure you know, this is where they lose the money. You say that a check-up or repair does not cost Sears that much. You are correct. However like every buisness they have a budget. The parts and service area has a labor rate opn top of their parts. If they have to repair everything through the M.A. plan then guess what? they are losing money on the other end because that means they cant charge them the normal service rate if it wasn't covered. And why do you think the parts and labor price is soooo expensive? Think about. Every cause has an effect. Buisness 101

17. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

Went back to Sears again and this time got another salesman--it's never a saleswoman in electronics, hmmmm. The toy department for guys, afterall. Anyway, this guy was more mature shall we say and answered exactly what I surmised and so did all of you: No, despite what I was told by the other salesperson, Burn-in is Not covered. Thanks for your replies.

18. Jay Foster

Jay Foster Stunt Coordinator

Hey,

I had an RPTV for years from Sears. Never a problem with burn in and I can tell you I watched a lot of DVDs and cable with it. I got the extended warranty in case there were other problems. Now, as I said above, they are giving me a new tv. Looking at the 60 inch LCD from Hitachi or the Samsung DLP (it is a little small).

19. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Evan, how much "pure" profit did Sears make on them in one year? That will tell the whole story & I doubt it was just for repeat business. As far as them telling you it was maybe their marketing department found out that when the salesman were told this they sold more contracts. I worked in the retail business for years & owned seven stores of my own & you tell the employees what's best for your own bottom line & you don't tell them everything just what you need too [​IMG]

20. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

LOL!! Very good point and very true comment. I couldn't tell you the numbers unfortunately. It was about 10 years ago. Like I said, it was a college job....but a decent job if you were good. Of course Sears does make money on the actual selling of the maintenence plan. It just was not the amount that I thought it would be. I will again say though that figures from repeat buyers...and the correlation with those who bought maintenance plans was huge. And a good percentage of their total earnings. The other thing that is amazing is the amount of money that they save when you purchase an item on a Sears charge. As I am sure you know with you history in business, with ever credit purchase, you have to pay the card company a few bucks. The amount they have to pay when purchased is tiny. That is why they push those damn cards soooo much.[​IMG]