searching for new PC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Samonte, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I'm now in "search mode" for a new PC and have approximately $1500 to spend. Dell seems to have good deals lately. Can you guys chime in as to what you'd recommend? Like other PC companies, Intel or AMD..or am I better off assembling one myself?

As for what I'm going to use it for, it'll be an all around box, gaming, some low-tech vid editing, entry level HTPC maybe. I'd like at least a 19" monitor with it though.

2. PhilM

PhilM Extra

with 1500 bucks head over to a local computer show or hit up www.pricewatch.com. don't buy from big companys, you end up paying upwards of 1,000 dollars more. and thats just for "service". even if your a complete newbie to building your own PC, a little internet research, and a couple good forums (this one, and i personlly like the forums on www.amdmb.com) are all you really need to be the next computer geek. people love to help people, its theraputic.

3. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Yeah, I believe in self-build PCs. Not necessarily due to cheapness (here in the UK self-build can be slightly more expensive sometimes) but because the companies tend to have one graphics/sound/etc. manufacturer for all items.

So you might see the specs you want except the graphics card is ATI when you wanted nVidia or whatever.

Also I tend to stick with the Wintel alliance simply to make sure I don't have any problems. I am overclocking my PIII 600 100FSB to 800 133FSB at the moment with no ill effects as yet, too.

4. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

I biult my first computer in August (AMD 1.2Ghz) and would recommend it to anyone. It's a great way to learn about the machine and you can put in parts you've researched and you'll get just what you want, no more no less. I spent about $750 and put together a very nice machine (w/o monitor).

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

To expand on John's post, if you keep your disk drives, keyboard and everything else, you'll only need to buy a new motherboard, CPU and maybe memory. For less than a grand you could have a 2 gig machine.

Glenn

6. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Aww, but if you don't keep your old machine how can you begin your own personal network? Home Half-Life deathmatch awaits!!!! [​IMG]

7. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Oh yeah...deathmatches will abound once another desktop arrives.

So consensus would be a self built one. Well, I'm a bit handy with the upgrading I've done with my old PII350, so I guess I'm up to it. The one question that nags me though is.....is it worth it to be buying separate components with separate warranties? Unlike already built ones, if somehting fails, I can always call and get a replacement ASAP.

8. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I've been building and upgrading my own PC's since 1987. The first one I built was 286. All the components (except power supplies) I have purchased either failed in the first 30 days which I then returned to the store or they were retired by me. I prefer to research and select my own components. I have also seen people buy machines off the shelf that had the most inferior motherboards in them. Now, building computers is not for everyone. If you do not want to do your own support then I'd wouldn't recommend building one. But if you do, I'd think you would enjoy it. Recently my father purchased a new Dell computer which I helped configure. I didn't recommend building one for him since I live 175 miles away and I know I would have to support him.
    Alan
    ps. My keyboard is the old 101 key style keyboard which I bought with my old 286. It has a XT-AT switch on the bottom and no "Windows" keys. I'm finally going to upgrade it....to a circa 198x true blue IBM keyboard...the best built keyboard of the time in my opinion.

9. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Ooh. I luurve my MS Natural Pro keyboard. Mmmm. I can now touch-type due to it's design forcing me to do so.
    About every other electrical device I buy is faulty.[​IMG]
    Just bad tech-karma, I guess.[​IMG]

10. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Eric,

If you decide to go the "do-it-yourself" route, make sure you absolutely buy the best motherboard money can buy! It will save you many headaches in my opinion.

Personally, I would rather buy from Dell or another reputable company and spend a little more for the peace of mind and the tech support.

The computer I am using right now is a PIII-600 I built about 2 years ago. Unfortunately I went with a "special" from my local Fry's on a case/motherboard/cpu combo where all I had to do was add drives/monitor/keyboard. This motherboard is crap... my sound has never worked right (sound built into the motherboard), every sound comes out like a skipping cd (even .wav files), a new Soundblaster soundcard offered the same results. I have also had numerous problems with modems (again original modem was built into the motherboard) and a replacement USB Best Data modem offered only a minor improvement.

Of course, since it is a do-it-yourself system, there is no one I can call and complain to, or anyone I can send the system back to...

...which is why I just ordered a new laptop from Dell as a desktop replacement. I picked up the Inspiron 8100 with: PIII-M 866, 256mb RAM, 20gb HD, 32mb nVidia Geforce 2 go, 15" SXGA screen, DVD, free Epson color printer... $1800 shipped.

If you are still considering buying a new computer instead of building, check out the current (12/01) issue of PC World which has ratings and reviews of the top power systems, value systems, power laptops and value laptops. (My inspiron was #1 but with a faster 1.2ghz processor.)

(EDIT) Oh, and that magazine also reviews the new AMD Athlon XP processor which performed much better than comparable Intel P4 processors and are less expensive. I would highly recommend this magazine if you are still deciding.