Searching for guidance-New to HT and Forums

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Michael__M, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

I'm new around here and I've been reading the forums like crazy trying to cram on HT. I am setting up my first HT system and would love some guidance from this group.

I have a Yamaha RX-V640 receiver. It has about 90 watts and I hope it will be sufficient. I originally was using this only for stereo for casual listening with a set of Infinity Interlude 10's. Wife says the little bookshelfs are just to terrible to look at so I have decided to build an HT system in the gameroom and hide in there with it.

I am planning on using the IL10's as the main L and R. I have an old set of Bose AM5 cubes to use as surround for now. I need to get a center which I am guessing should match the IL10s sound to get a good front stage. I have narrowed it down to the Infinity Alpha 37c. For the low end I just bought a Velodyne DLS 3500. Don't ask how I made that decision. It was an impulse buy and can still be returned if need be.

Ok guys, let me have it. Do I need to scrap it all and start again? Do I need bigger main speakers than these bookshelfs? Should I just get one of those HT in a box speaker systems? The more I read the more confused I am. This system will be movies only. No stereo listening in here ( the room doubles as my toddlers play room).

Thanks for your help and I'm glad to be here.

Michael Moon

2. John S

John S Producer

That is a strange choice for a subwoofer for sure....

I actually like the Fronts, and the Receiver....

I think you should re-think that sub though, for the money especially. (Although I don't know what your paid) $400 is way to much for this sub.

Scrap the idea to use the Bose for surround duty.

Do a search on the Yamaha NS-6490's You need two pair, this will take care of your Surround / center and give you your full 6.1....

Try to at least get a sub with a 12" driver.

Best of luck!!!

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I think that the first question you need to ask yourself is, ‘Are the Infinity IL10s the speakers I want to wind up with (at least in the medium term)?’

If the answer to this question is yes, you can proceed with trying to match a center to those speakers. You can replace the surrounds at your leisure—no need to hurry.

On the other hand, if the answer to that question is ‘no’, then you need to think about an ordered way to replace your speakers. You might just do it all at once (avoid the lower end HTIB solutions, if possible) if you have the budget. Something like the Rocket ELT package would be perfect if you have a spare $900 or so.

But as you have some speakers as a base, you can replace them individually as you have a budget.

For example find a line that you like and replace your main speakers and move the IL10s to replace the Bose surrounds. Then get a center that matches your mains. Then replace the surrounds. Now you have a new system.

I don’t know much about the sub, so I can’t advise. I would recommend a bit of consideration as to the impulse purchase however.

4. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. I am now rethinking ( probably overthinking my system).

1) Can you guys elaborate on the sub for me. I am not a bass fanatic. I like to feel the effects of the movie but I don't need my teeth to shake. My room is 20x30ft with one end opening up to my lower level. I am using the closed end as my HT area (the other half occupied by Barney, Elmo, and the Wiggles at this time) The Velodyne DLS 3500 sounds ok to me, but just ok. It's hard for me to tell because honestly I don't really know what I am looking for from my HT sub. The volume from this sub is sufficient but it does seem to be a little muddy and overreactive at times. After reading this forum a bit I should look at the SVS.

2) Great point about the Infinities. I will find some time to go out and listen to some other products before I lay down the money on the rest of the speakers. I looked into the Rocket system. Looks pretty good. I plan on going out to some local dealers to hear PSB, Paradigm, B&W, and whatever else I can listen to. I will try and not be so spontaneous about all this.

5. John S

John S Producer

Michael_M,

Your new approach sounds like a winner, and I think you will end up much much happier than just sort of throwing it all together.

I know somebody who bought that same odd Velodyne sub, and ended up returning it, and had similar comments as you about it. All I knew about it, was that sub could not even come close to even the rather lowly reguarded here CHT-15 Velodyne.

To me, if your assembling a system, it may as well at least start to rival what you get in the better commercial theaters.

If you go to a decent commercial theater and really take note of the sound. In virtually all aspects, this is what your looking for.

Good luck with your system!