Searching for future-proof subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Seth G, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Seth G

Seth G Stunt Coordinator

Long time lurker, first time poster. Here is my situation. I have a full polk audio speaker package without the subwoofer which includes:

Fronts: RT35i
    Center: CS245i
    Surrounds: f/x300i

This worked great for my apartment. But now I've recently moved into a house which demands more base. So I'd like to get a subwoofer now which will work well with these speakers. But the bigger problem is I'd like the subwoofer to work well with the future speakers I plan to replace the polks with. For instance, I'd like to get some power towers for the fronts and probably a bigger center channel, probably from a higher end brand.

Is there any hope of finding a subwoofer that will work now and in the future? Or is it a futile effort and should I just look for something that works well now, and buy a new sub when I upgrade the fronts and center?

Thanks in advance.

2. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

There are many options...SVS, Hsu, Adire,and DIY will all give you the best bang for the buck. How big is your room? Do you want the ability to play at reference level? What's your budget?

3. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

whats your budget, and your room dimensions?

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

While the technology in a sub can change over time, the functionality itself doesn't change much.

The goal is still lots of output, flat freq response (within your range of interest), with low distortion. In terms of that, any good sub today will still be a good sub 5 or 10 years from now. Not like DPL -> DD -> DD EX -> THX -> THX Ultra2. [​IMG]

5. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Fortunately, speakers IMO are pretty much futureproof.

It all comes down to what sort of quality you want to pick up -- get a better one now and you won't have to upgrade later. Just get the best sub you can.

6. JohnRuggiero

JohnRuggiero Agent

If you want the lastest in subwoofer technology you may want to check out Sound related technologies at www.soundrelatedtech.com. The couple their subwoofer with water in pressurized vinyl bags. So you not only hear the sound you feel it. They are big in Cinemas especially Regal Cinemas and they are just getting into the home theater market. They have the IBS-10 and IBS-8. They are call hyrosonic subwoofers because they can reach down to
    6 Hz. So you feel the sound they say you can see your cloths vibrate with this. So you may want to check it out. I am getting one myself next week so I will post my review once I get it. thanks John Ruggiero.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I got a buddy who has those tactile transducer things. (Buttkickers or something.) Maybe it's just because I wasn't used to it, or maybe if the effect had been turned down a little, but I felt it detracted from the audio/video experience of watching a movie. A good sub, if it goes low enough, you will *feel* anyway. [​IMG]

8. Seth G

Seth G Stunt Coordinator

The room is about 14' by 18'. I'm guessing my budget is somewhere in the $500-$750 price range. I don't think reference levels are necessary this being my first sub and I'm sure the little polks wouldn't be able to keep up anyway.

It appears from previous comments that I don't have to worry about timbre matching when it comes to subs, correct? I guess that was my original concern. I thought I would need to somehow timbre match the sub with my current speakers and future speakers.

John, I've have to keep a look out for that review of those subwoofers. That's some crazy stuff. [​IMG]

9. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

10. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

That water filled thing looks cool. I would worry about leaks... I remember the old waterbed days... haha. Anyway what are the prices of those puppys.... they do look interesting just a different idea....

11. JohnRuggiero

JohnRuggiero Agent

The price for the IBS-8 is 595.00 and the price for the IBS-10 is 795.00. They have a 3 year warrenty.

12. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

If it means anything, I used to have Polk RT25i's with a CS245i center, and my SVS blended very nicely with them. I had previously had a Polk PSW-350 sub and replaced it with a SVS 20-39CS+/Samson 1000/ART-351 EQ rig. After playing with the phase and positioning a bit, I managed to get a very smooth transition across the crossover range. I replaced all my speakers with newer Polks (5 RTi28's and a CSi30) when I changed my room for 6.1, but the SVS 20-39CS+ still blends nicely for music and trolls deeper than sin for movies. I don't think you could go wrong with Polks and a SVS sub. This thing is as future-proof as it gets.

13. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    Seth wrote:

For instance, I'd like to get some power towers for the fronts and probably a bigger center channel, probably from a higher end brand.

My experience, expensively taught, has been that integrating a high-quality subwoofer with powered towers can be, will be, and is guaranteed to be a nightmare. It was only by installing a Behringer Feedback Destroyer in my system, which includes the aforementioned PTs and sub, that any semblance of low bass smoothness was attained. If I could do it over again - large bookshelf models on stands at the same pricepoint as the towers. Live and learn.

Greg

14. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer